Education, academies and free schools

Its in the news today that "secondary school progress stalled".

I havnt read the article yet, but does stalled mean education is just as good as last year?

I dont like all the freedom that schools are getting, if schools are improving, then I shouldnt be complaining, but they are not.

Wasnt education one of the areas where they did not get their funding cut?

I guess Ofsted should be unbiased, but I think that they support the government, I will read the article and post back later.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-30398160

Wasnt education one of the areas where they did not get their funding cut?

who told you that? School budgets have drastically been cut over the last few years, even after the supposed financial protections have been put in place. Central Govt will argue that the rate per pupil has been maintained, but everything else is down, meaning overall school budgets are down. One of my mates works up in the north East where school budgets are devolved from central government so should be in the know.

who told you that? School budgets have drastically been cut over the last few years.

In 2010 Schools were promised increased funding, every year, for the next four years, but I guess the Tories dont always tell the truth.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2010/oct/20/spending-review-2010-key-points

Schools also get funding based on the number of pupils. Previous birthrates have been down so the Y7 intake at secondary schools has been down than in previous years, and predicted to be so for the next year or two.

There have also been new 6th form colleges set up which have "stolen" the traditional 6th form secondary school pupils.

But don't get bogged down with funding, that isn't the key issue here. The issue is low level disruption.

Paving the way for private schools

But don't get bogged down with funding, that isn't the key issue here. The issue is low level disruption.

Ofsted say its not down to the type of school, but leadership, "low level disruption" does this mean that the children have become more disruptive, or teaching staf le able to keep a quiet class.

This has been an issue for generations, perhaps children have a shorter attention span because of modern living?

You're right, leadership and failure to differentiate are key factors in schools failing.

The reasons for the disruption are many. One school of thought is that the disrupters are either too challenged or not challenged enough and this could be the reason.

There's a big push on data analysis now to try and identify the differentiation between pupils and tailor the work or teacher support during lessons.

Next year's GCSE exams will be using the new NC. More challenge for both schools and teachers. Good luck for Year 11 students in the coming academic year in Sep.

Next year's GCSE exams will be using the new NC. More challenge for both schools and teachers. Good luck for Year 11 students in the coming academic year in Sep.

This year's GCSE results have shown the biggest ever year-on-year decline - down to the lowest level since 2008.

This has been driven by a fall in grades in England - as Northern Ireland's results improved and results in Wales remained stable.

Even without these older pupils resitting exams, there has been a fall in the results of 16 year olds, with the proportion getting A* to C declining by 1.3% points.

A kick in the teeth for Michael Gove, free schools and academies.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-37175848

This year's GCSE results have shown the biggest ever year-on-year decline - down to the lowest level since 2008.

This has been driven by a fall in grades in England - as Northern Ireland's results improved and results in Wales remained stable.

Even without these older pupils resitting exams, there has been a fall in the results of 16 year olds, with the proportion getting A* to C declining by 1.3% points.

A kick in the teeth for Michael Gove, free schools and academies.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-37175848

How have local education authority controlled schools fared?

How have local education authority controlled schools fared?

There was no analysis in the BBC article, I wonder if they will be brave enough to do the sums, or maybe there is another reason, poor funding, immigration etc.

---------- Post added 26-08-2016 at 22:23 ----------

In Scotland, where there are no Academies, they had the second highest number of higher passes this year. Scotland is the best educated country in Europe, according to a report released in 2014 by the Office for National Statistics.

In maths, the UK is ranked 27th, slipping down a place from three years ago, the lowest since it began participating in the Pisa tests in 2000

In reading, the UK is ranked 22nd, up from 23rd, having fallen out of the top 20 in 2006

The UK's most successful subject is science, up from 21st to 15th place - the highest placing since 2006, although the test score has declined

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-38157811