Optometrist spared jail

Much respect to gas fitters, but it can hardly be classed in the same league as an optometrist. It's like comparing apples and brain surgery.

Angel1.

It may well be - the consequences of a balls up are the same.

Plenty of "gas fitters" been prosecuted successfully.

It may well be - the consequences of a balls up are the same.

Plenty of "gas fitters" been prosecuted successfully.

As they've managed to kill people due to bodging/incompetence. I can't see how Angel can't see the similarities - it's not like she was lacking in equipment.

Sol - the whole point of the prosecution was that she would only have had to look at the discs to spot the very serious problem - she did not and tried to lie her way out of it (I think the Judge commented as much in his sentencing remarks)

Life is never black and white though red

So my questions remain....

Why were the discs not looked at?

Was she time-pressured? Filling in for a colleague? Unwell?

Last minute appointment? Hyperactive child?

Missed discs takes seconds, especially with a distracted mind

But why were they not seen AT ALL?

Miscommunication? Error from colleagues?

Usually failures are system failures or a person's mistake

If it was a system failure, why is she being blamed?

If it was her genuine mistake (again this is still unclear to me)

A death 5 months later, cannot be blamed on her

Unless someone HAS to be blamed for this

In which case, there you go

But why were they not seen AT ALL?

Miscommunication? Error from colleagues?

Usually failures are system failures or a person's mistake

If it was a system failure, why is she being blamed?

Unless someone HAS to be blamed for this

In which case, there you go

Unless you sat through the evidence you nor I cannot know exactly why she did not look at the discs - I think she claimed the boy reacted badly to the examination but the mothers evidence contradicted that as I understand it.

A death 5 months, 5 years later if directly attributable and causative of the death as a result of the the omission of the person (or act of an individual - case ongoing in Sheffield at the moment as a consequence of a death years after an attack by domestic partner - charged as murder) most certainly can be blamed on the person responsible for the act of omission.

try reading this:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jul/15/optometrist-honey-rose-guilty-manslaughter-negligence-vinnie-barker-boots

in particular:

The jury heard photographs taken by another member of staff of the back of his eyes shortly before he was examined by Rose suggested he had bilateral papilloedema – the optic disc at the back of each eye was swollen because of the raised pressure within his skull.

if the photographs really showed that then there is no excuse for doing a proper examination of the back of the eye.

even if photographs hadn't been taken then there is still no excuse not to look at the back of the eye.

if you're mind is distracted then you have no business examining someones eyes

if you are a trained professional then there is no excuse for missing swollen optical discs.

what killed this poor child has very few visible symptoms until it's too late, had the defendant done her job properly then the child should have been sent to hospital for further investigation. she didn't and an opportunity to save the child's life was missed.

The jury heard photographs taken by another member of staff

OK Bingo

So someone else saw the discs?

So why is SHE getting the blame then?

I knew there was something very strange about this story

OK Bingo

Sol - I don't think there is anything strange about it - we just don't know the evidence do we?

I will try and get the sentencing comments which may help but the media reports of criminal cases are invariably snippets of the most salacious bits of the evidence and often inaccurately reported.

OK Bingo

my word , are you Sheffields answer to Columbo ? is there nothing you cannot work out ? from Jeremy corbyn winning a general election :loopy: to investigating some poor souls untimely death

Just a thought...

In a lot of professions and industries, there are systems of checking in place, so that if one person gets it wrong, there is the opportunity for this to be picked up.

Agreed.

I've also noticed that on a couple of recent occasions where I have had to attend A&E, with children, that they were seen by a series of different doctors, going through similar routines and asking similar questions. I don't know whether this is to provide a check, and/or just part of training, but either way it provides a check of any assessment.

I mentioned Specsavers in a couple of earlier posts and they have something similar, where a senior optician will always complete a final check on any younger children's spectacles before the customer is discharged.

OK Bingo

Quick I think you need to ring the judge! Clearly you have more knowledge and experience than the people who convicted her. :loopy:

It is not strange at all. I don't know but one possibility is that the photos were taken by someone else who wasn't a qualified optometrist so that she, the qualified person, could take a look at them.

Sol - I don't think there is anything strange about it - we just don't know the evidence do we?

I will try and get the sentencing comments which may help but the media reports of criminal cases are invariably snippets of the most salacious bits of the evidence and often inaccurately reported.

I think this is my main issue

Which is why it didn't seem to add up!

I think this is my main issue

Which is why it didn't seem to add up!

I'm not sure what bits didn't seem to add up, it seemed quite straight forward to me?