Anyone been on a cruise and what did you think?

Hi I am thinking of going on a cruise next year and wondered if anyone had been on one, what their experience was like and who they would suggest going to. Thanks :)

apparently, i had a distant ancestor who went on a cruise, i don't think he enjoyed it much. the cruise ship was called titanic.

Take a mini cruise from Hull to Amsterdam or similar and see how you feel. We're going tomorrow for 2 nights and 1 day there for only £50 each. Might be a good taster.

Yes I've been on a Mediterranean cruise. It's no good going for less than 11 days. The entertainment at night is very good and there is plenty to do during the day. Some people you talk to are rather stuck up.

Went on a 12 day cruise of the eastern Mediterranean last May. The excursions were OK but a bit on the expensive side. As for life on board, I didn't care for it: the fawning staff were a constant irritation & the food in the cafeteria was second-rate. The food in the restaurants was pretty good but the staff were over-attentive. The ship was one those huge 120,000 tonners with about 3000 passengers, so we never saw the same people twice & consequently didn't get to talk to many people. The entertainment was OK but forgettable.

........our neighbors had to be brought home halfway through their trip along with many others due to severe food poisoning!

I think people have very different opinions about cruises. We've been on one in the Caribbean. It was at a time when my father-in-law was in the early stages of dementia, and it was a good choice for that time. Mainly we all just wanted to hang out together as a family (we only get to see each other once or twice a year), and it was a safe calm place for him, with enough for the rest of us to do.

It felt like a combination of a good shopping mall and seaside town during the day; and in the evening it was good-but-not-great entertainment with an option to get dressed up.

Haven't had the desire to go since, as safe and calm isn't usually our priority. But people seemed pretty happy.

Did two weeks in the Caribbean wit Princess,enjoyed it thoroughly,it was like eating in a top restaurant every night and to see a different island every day makes it enjoyable.

Going on another in a couple of years,want to do the Baltics.

I am quite shocked about the negativity, interested to know who they went with was it P&O cruises, Fred Olsen? Thanks

I am quite shocked about the negativity, interested to know who they went with was it P&O cruises, Fred Olsen? Thanks

The cruise we went on was with Celebrity Cruises. We did go on a cruise in 2009 with Fred Olsen Lines. The cruise was to the West Indies on a ship of about 26,000 tons. We did prefer this cruise to the Celebrity one. The food was on, on the whole, better. The staff were friendly without being over the top. The entertainment was more to our taste. There were only about 600 passengers so we saw the same people often enough to get to know them a bit. The excursions to the islands were interesting but I was a bit surprised how "Third World" they were.

if you are single fred olsen cater really well for you.

Take a mini cruise from Hull to Amsterdam or similar and see how you feel. We're going tomorrow for 2 nights and 1 day there for only £50 each. Might be a good taster.

I think you will find yourself on North Sea Ferries - can't really call that a cruise really.......:)

Butlins but on a boat.

Edited by Daven