Car road tax will I lose out

you, wont have to pay owt, it will take three weeks for the letter to arrive, its a bank holiday this weekend, use it to your advantage.

You don't need to have a car insured in order to tax it.

I think you will find you do need insurance to tax a vehicle

I think you will find you do need insurance to tax a vehicle

Check with the DVLA,insurance is not now needed in order to tax a vehicle.

Check with the DVLA,insurance is not now needed in order to tax a vehicle.

I dont know what the requirements are to newly tax a vehicle, but when my son bought his new car he left his old one on the drive for a while but didnt get round to SORNing it, just carried on paying his tax direct debits. He got a letter warning him that unless he either SORNed it or informed the DVLA that it had been sold on he was facing a fine.

Im guessing they presume you could be driving it without insurance?

I dont know what the requirements are to newly tax a vehicle, but when my son bought his new car he left his old one on the drive for a while but didnt get round to SORNing it, just carried on paying his tax direct debits. He got a letter warning him that unless he either SORNed it or informed the DVLA that it had been sold on he was facing a fine.

That is correct,if a car doesn't have both tax and insurance it must be sorned.However new regulations allow a car to be taxed without insurance.This is apparently because continuous insurance checks are made by DVLA and when a check shows there is no insurance the keeper will be contacted and in some cases prosecuted.

A fine for what?

Insurance is required for the car to even be stood on the public road, but it can be on your drive, taxed but not insured and you aren't committing a crime.

A fine for what?

Insurance is required for the car to even be stood on the public road, but it can be on your drive, taxed but not insured and you aren't committing a crime.

Are you sure of that? I thought that it had to be SORN'd if not insured..

One of several similar articles

"t’s been over two years since the law on Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIE), which makes it illegal to own a car not declared as off the road without it being insured, came into force. And in that time over £5million worth of fines have been collected from people who have been keeping a car without insurance."

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/c/news/car-off-the-road-you-still-need-insurance/0026575/

I've probably got it wrong then.

I've probably got it wrong then.

I don't know for sure but it looks like if it's taxed it must be insured,if not insured then it must be SORN'd... they do like to make things complicated don't they?

My sister has gone to live in Greece, they took their car and drove there.

Because she did not sorn the car she received a £70 quid fine from VOSA?.

It's madness, pure and simple.

Angel1.

My sister has gone to live in Greece, they took their car and drove there.

Because she did not sorn the car she received a £70 quid fine from VOSA?.

It's madness, pure and simple.

Angel1.

Think you mean dvla not vosa

Are you sure of that? I thought that it had to be SORN'd if not insured..

One of several similar articles

"t’s been over two years since the law on Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIE), which makes it illegal to own a car not declared as off the road without it being insured, came into force. And in that time over £5million worth of fines have been collected from people who have been keeping a car without insurance."

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/c/news/car-off-the-road-you-still-need-insurance/0026575/

If a car has no insurance it must be Sorned,if it is not taxed it must be Sorned.In either case it is illegal if it is on the road,even if only parked.