Inflatable dinghy's in sea..yes or no

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-37178643

The sea should always be respected - a beautiful but powerful and brutal place.

RIP to those who lost their lives.

I would say that dinghys should never be used in the sea - only pools - my opinion.

Edited by Daven

So very very sad.

I see the coastguards have just pulled some from the channel in a dinghy,all safe by the look of it.

I was reading some research about rips recently, apparently the common advise (swim/paddle crossways) might not be the best option. According to the research rips are circular in nature, so if you just float calmly then you'll end up being swept back in again and won't have wasted all your strength trying to get out of the rip.

Good advice normally I think. The trouble that I was in at Watergate bay was that the current was pulling me south, past the beach so I had to do something. It was a frightening experience and one I wouldn't care to repeat. As it happens I never had a problem again. I had a word with the lifeguard down at Fistral about it and he says it is a rare occurrence but he thought that the council should have at least put warning signs up. I was surfing on the incoming tide as well.

---------- Post added 26-08-2016 at 12:53 ----------

So very very sad.

Agreed.

Most blue flag beaches will have plenty of information about tides safety etc, but post brexit blue flags wont mean owt anymore.

Given the tragedy's that have happened over the weekend. I am ofcourse referring to the 6 who died in the coastal waters.

We are due to go away shortly (St Ives) my son has pestered the life out of me and his mother to buy an inflatable dinghy to play in the sea. Which we have done. Nothing extravagant just a simple 2 man dinghy which came with a pair of light weight oars and a pump. We've also purchased 3 life preservers and 3 wet/dry suits?? It's all cheap n cheerful stuff. However I'm becoming somewhat nervous. I've taken the liberty of also buying 70ft of orange paracord along with a stake which I'm hoping I can use to tether the dinghy to the beach. I cannot stress enough that under no circumstances will my 9yr old son be left alone at any time whilst he's in the sea. I only intend to go out as far as chest deep. I'm sure that's plenty deep enough to frolic in the water.

I'd like to know what others think of using a dinghy in the sea and more importantly tethering it to the shoreline. Is it a bad idea.

I sent an email to St Ives tourist information last week and never got a reply.

I lived for a few years about ten miles from St. Ives and spent a lot of time at a beach just out of town. I must warn you that a rip tide existed at that beach which could carry an airbed or inflatable dinghy out to sea with more speed than many people can handle, especially children. I hate the idea that I am intentionally scaring anybody, but Cornwall has some very dangerous waters around it. I'm a retired RN Helicopter crewman and I've seen a few bad events there.