Is it time BMW cars were banned from the roads during snow?

I live on a dual carriageway on a slight incline.

Every time there is a drop of snow traffic is held up by BMWs sliding from side to side.

There has been an awful tailback caused by these vehicles, yet once they are out of the way most traffic seems to flow straight through.

Even coming down the incline one BMW suv had his front wheel locked at full lock sliding forward. Only when it hit the kerb did it gain some control.

I shall return to my foxhole and await incoming.

Perhaps you should just talk about rear wheel drive cars, BMWs are mostly rear wheel drive, and IMO they're harder to drive in the snow than FWD.

Any rear wheel drive cars will have a harder time in the snow, they need to be permanently reversed instead!!

Having said that, BMW's are generally the most useless 4x4 cars I've seen too. They are always getting stuck - I think it's because they have sports tyres fitted with very limited grip.

I always find it amusing going past fake 4x4's though (in my XTrail :D ), the usual Suzuki/Qashqai's getting stuck because the owners didn't think it was worth splashing out for the 4 wheel drive versions. :hihi:

I recall living in Germany a few years ago. I lived out in the sticks and the road to work was a long straight road about 5 km long in an open farmland.

Every year this road would freeze over and even with snow chains a lot of BMWs and Mercs would struggle. My 1.6 Ford Orion with winter tyres used to put them to shame.

It's one of the very few things that put me off ever buying a BMW.

I recall living in Germany a few years ago. I lived out in the sticks and the road to work was a long straight road about 5 km long in an open farmland.

Every year this road would freeze over and even with snow chains a lot of BMWs and Mercs would struggle. My 1.6 Ford Orion with winter tyres used to put them to shame.

It's one of the very few things that put me off ever buying a BMW.

From the RAC, advice for driving abroad in winter. I always had winter tyres fitted every year when I lived in Northern Europe.

" In Germany and many other continental countries, winter tyres are a legal requirement at certain times of the year or when conditions require them. Some countries allow visitors to drive on ‘normal’ tyres fitted with snow chains when road conditions or local signs dictate – but it is important to check rules before you depart on holiday.

Winter tyres are made from a different rubber compound so they don’t harden when it is cold, providing increased grip on the road and greater safety.

Motorists will benefit from using winter tyres whenever the temperature dips below seven degrees centigrade. They are suitable not just for snow-bound roads but are effective on slush, ice, frost and even wet roads, providing improved road handling and reduced stopping distances."

http://www.rac.co.uk/travel/driving-abroad/driving-abroad-in-winter

Just witnessed a new XJ block up Wadsley Lane, rear wheel drive :) I think the issue is that people that buy a rear wheel drive are not necessarily aware of the differences in driving characteristics in these conditions. No doubt there will be a few on here, soon, stating that is nonsense, but the reality is that a lot of RWD cars do set a bad example out there.

I have a choice between high power RWD or lower power FWD, so this morning I took the tram.

Guest sibon
I have a choice between high power RWD or lower power FWD, so this morning I took the tram.

I had the choice between a high powered FWD and a low powered FWD.

I lit the fire and stayed in.

Just witnessed a new XJ block up Wadsley Lane, rear wheel drive :) I think the issue is that people that buy a rear wheel drive are not necessarily aware of the differences in driving characteristics in these conditions. No doubt there will be a few on here, soon, stating that is nonsense, but the reality is that a lot of RWD cars do set a bad example out there.

RWD/FWD doesn't matter..once your tyres have lost traction you'll be going nowhere..modern "summer" tyres just don't cut the mustard in snow..

My RWD Hillman imp is great in the snow thanks!

From the RAC, advice for driving abroad in winter. I always had winter tyres fitted every year when I lived in Northern Europe.

" In Germany and many other continental countries, winter tyres are a legal requirement at certain times of the year or when conditions require them. Some countries allow visitors to drive on ‘normal’ tyres fitted with snow chains when road conditions or local signs dictate – but it is important to check rules before you depart on holiday.

Winter tyres are made from a different rubber compound so they don’t harden when it is cold, providing increased grip on the road and greater safety.

Motorists will benefit from using winter tyres whenever the temperature dips below seven degrees centigrade. They are suitable not just for snow-bound roads but are effective on slush, ice, frost and even wet roads, providing improved road handling and reduced stopping distances."

http://www.rac.co.uk/travel/driving-abroad/driving-abroad-in-winter

I think a good case could be made for making four seasons (as a minimum) a legal requirement in the winter months in the UK.

jb