‘This Girl Can’ … And Boys Can Too!

This headline from a junior 'parkrun' report.

For once Boys are included too. We have initiatives for all sorts of minorities and even for some majorities (women = 50%+) but never for male, white, heterosexuals. Luckily most of us don't need to be told because we are out there actually doing it, whatever it is.

We do feel oppressed but it is not our way to moan about it.

So what is it that we do to our young males that gives them this attitude and how can we imbue the rest of the population with it?

For once Boys are included too. We have initiatives for all sorts of minorities and even for some majorities (women = 50%+) but never for male, white, heterosexuals. Luckily most of us don't need to be told because we are out there actually doing it, whatever it is.

So what is it that we do to our young males that gives them this attitude and how can we imbue the rest of the population with it?

What is a 'parkrun' report?

And that's why the empowered don't need to be encouraged.

No, we don't.

They have a privileged position in the UK, that's why campaigns to encourage the less privileged are necessary.

I'm afraid I need a translation for the OP....I've no idea what it's about....

I'm afraid I need a translation for the OP....I've no idea what it's about....

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/

I got the jist of it; I would love to do a park run, but have fields opposite, a nice organised run would be good tho.

I think you missed the point of the This Girl Can campaign.

It is meant to encourage women who feel too self-conscious to start exercising, who are worried people will judge them for being too sweaty / wobbly etc. I, personally don't care what I look like, I do it for the pure enjoyment, but some women will not exercise for these reasons.

Well, it's great that there are initiatives for men as well. But Parkrun isn't a female only organisation, it is headed by a female and has a female head of participation.

There are separate initiatives for gay men and women, black people and disabled people as they traditionally have been excluded.

I think what we can do for young people of all ages, sexualities, genders and abilities is give them self confidence, and create a welcoming atmosphere so they feel included.

Well, it's great that there are initiatives for men as well. But Parkrun isn't a female only organisation, it is headed by a female and has a female head of participation.

There are separate initiatives for gay men and women, black people and disabled people as they traditionally have been excluded.

I think what we can do for young people of all ages, sexualities, genders and abilities is give them self confidence, and create a welcoming atmosphere so they feel included.

Seems tragic that initiatives these days are needed to encompass all.

---------- Post added 29-01-2015 at 13:12 ----------

I think you missed the point of the This Girl Can campaign.

It is meant to encourage women who feel too self-conscious to start exercising, who are worried people will judge them for being too sweaty / wobbly etc. I, personally don't care what I look like, I do it for the pure enjoyment, but some women will not exercise for these reasons.

Maybe we could have an initiative for bigots..after all they are people too and their sensitivities must be recognized.

Seems tragic that initiatives these days are needed to encompass all.

---------- Post added 29-01-2015 at 13:12 ----------

Maybe we could have an initiative for bigots..after all they are people too and their sensitivities must be recognized.

I think a lot of gyms already cater for them quite adequately.

for Roots'ster and PM - its an initiative for women to do stuff...

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/news/2015/01/28/this-girl-can-and-boys-can-too/

Cyclone - "They (young males) have a privileged position in the UK, that's why campaigns to encourage the less privileged are necessary".

I'm not after analysis - I'd like to hear idea's as to why this situation has occurred.

IMO - It's a nurture and nature thing.

Nature = Men are natural risk takers and many more die in accidents as a result but when successful this puts them in an advantageous position.

Nurture = Conscious and unconscious factors cause people conform to behaviors that they feel is expected of them.

There's there's not much we can do about nature.

But Nurturing -

In what way are young males privileged? How did this occur?

What do we do to boys that we don't do to girls that makes them like this? or vice-versa?

I'm not after analysis - I'd like to hear idea's as to why this situation has occurred.

You appear to have contradicted yourself in the space of one sentence.

Also, you failed to use quotes in your OP, making it look like it was your commentary, when in fact you were quoting the article.

The campaign is based on studies which suggest that fear of judgement is a major barrier to participation, and ‘This Girl Can’ features a range of every day women doing a variety of sports and activities, working hard, getting sweaty, being competitive and having fun.

As to why women and girls are less likely to do activities, it explains in the article (see sentence in bold).

I don't think risk taking or inherent ability has much to do with it, it's only my opinion, but I think it's almost all down to societal attitudes towards women and girls.

---------- Post added 29-01-2015 at 14:59 ----------

Some evidence to support my view here

It’s no secret that exercise helps everything from depression to metabolic syndrome—so why are women skimping on it?

A lack of confidence may be to blame, says Paul Loprinzi, PhD, an assistant professor of exercise science at Bellarmine University and one of the study’s authors. “Some evidence indicates that women, compared to men, have less confidence in their ability to overcome their exercise-related barriers,” Dr. Loprinzi says. And that lack of confidence may stem from women’s childhoods, adds study coauthor Bradley Cardinal, PhD, a professor at Oregon State University. “We know from other studies that parents are more likely to ‘rough house’ and play with boys more than girls during childhood,” he says.

Add to that a political layer: the average participant in the study was 48 years old, and so grew up before Title IX—the 1972 law requiring gender equality in federally funded educational programs—would have really kicked in. “At least some of these participants would not have had the opportunities to experience physical activity and sport in the same way a young person would today,” says Dr. Cardinal.

http://www.prevention.com/fitness/fitness-tips/why-do-women-exercise-less-men

---------- Post added 29-01-2015 at 15:05 ----------

Some underlying causes (or speculation about them) reported here as well

http://www.science20.com/news_releases/women_exercise_less_men_study

Thank-you Cyclone. Too much to expect a criticism free post from you but a commendable effort. Re: the phrase you quoted -

".....which suggest that fear of judgement is a major barrier to participation".

Is the above with regard to females or both sexes? I would guess that its about women, but it don't say that.

If it is, Why do female fear judgement more than males? Are parents and society more critical of females especially when they are young - I think not.

Perhaps male and females are different. They certainly are when left to their own devices in the school playground , according to your quotes.