Another VERY Light sentence for Dangerous Driving!!

"A banned driver who flipped his car over a hedge after reaching almost 100mph with a four-year old-boy in the back has been jailed for a year."

We rarely like to comment on sentencing but this case was so lenient that we had to say something.

We believe that there has to be a review of the inconsistency's of sentencing and that minimum rules for certain crimes need to be looked at.

The Police must pull their hair out when they read stories like this. :huh:

http://smarturl.it/3b2otd

Edited by SaferSheff

I think the following excerpt explains the sentence:

Last month Smith admitted dangerous driving, driving while disqualified and a child cruelty offence relating to exposing the boy to such risk.

For driving while disqualified there is a max term that is below a year as far as I know, in fact I think it often ends up a suspended sentence. The child cruelty offence is more tricky to judge, but he was aware of the child being aboard and apologised to his partner when she pointed this out to him. So on the basis of that a year is probably justified.

What I would like to see though is that he would have been judged for criminally endangering other road users and that, as a law, is seriously due a massive update.

I also wonder if his failure to stop (he was running from the police after all) was appropriately taken into account.

I suspect the speed he did could not be proven, possibly because the police failed to get an accurate reading on his speed as they were on country roads.

So the conclusion is: Criminal endangerment of other road users has to be clarified to include cases such as this one and punishment for that should be far harsher. That way the police can also put away drunk drivers far more effectively.

I can't see why he wasn't given a sentence for each of the crimes he admitted and then made to serve them consecutively - putting him away for a longer period.

It's been said for years if you want to kill someone run them over you will be out of prison in no time you may not even see one.