Firth Derihon Stampings, Tinsley

Firth Derihon had two factories in the Tinsley area of Sheffield. Blade Division at Dunlop St., Carbrook, and main factory at Attercliffe Road, Tinsley, both factories no longer trading.

I worked for Blade Division 1961 to 1964 , and have many memories of my early employment days.

Are there any ex employees,relatives or any memories of this company.

There is a web site dedicated to the corrolation of memories of this company,and welcome any contribution to the web site .

http://www.firth-derihonstampings.co.uk

or GOOGLE : Firth Derihon

Gary Marshman North Wales

i worked at firth derihon tinsley as an electrician from feb 1961 to sert 1993 quite a few memories would love to share

jim hall

my uncle worked there for a good few years,his name was billy bennet ,i think he may have been a shop steward there as well.

thanks for getting in touch give bill my best wishes we also remember each other from treeton pit too long ago to remember

by the way bill was a shop steward and a good one

Edited by jimhall

Jimhall

alf1956

Good to hear from ex employees of Derihons.

Jim , I will look forward to any memories you may have of your times at the company and your recollections of the people you came across.

Alf, thanks for your reply ref. Billy Bennett. However the only Bennett we remember is Brian Bennett, who was Shop Steward , and worked with Harry 'Romeo' Bevan on the 10 ton Drop Stamp at Tinsley, circa early 1960's

There is a photo in the Images section of the web site showing them working the 10 ton stamp circa 1960.

Any memories you have can be uploaded onto our Web Site which you have already scanned.

Gary Marshman

Blink,

I have switched this thread to the more appropriate theme of Firth-Derihon Stampings that was the original occupier of your site.

The main office was not brick built where the manager, foremen, clerks and self were based. The large offices on the wall facing Barking Street were ladies and gents canteen facilities. The small brick built office on the school side was the Heat Treatment office.

The Darley Dale site was additional factory operating in my day. They are the only part of the original Derihons operating under the new ownership Firth-Rixson.

No electric furnaces to my recollection. Furnaces were gas fired. I controlled the pyrometry. Drop Stamps max 2 tonnes and Hammers were electric powered as was a 1000 tonn Press. There was a Die Shop with lathes, millers, borers etc, and Shotblast , along with say 12 grinding machines.

Opposite at back of New Inn would be Jessop Saville who supplied raw materials such as Titanium for rotor blade forging

Gary Marshman

---------- Post added 29-01-2013 at 21:42 ----------

Blink,

Further to your query on the electrical capacity, another reason for switching to this Thread is a contributor to this theme is Jim Hall who was Foreman Electrican for Tinsley and Dunlop Street, who I worked with and have been in touch with recently. If he doesnt respond to the electrical topic, I will contact him and he will know of the usage of the original power supply .

Gary Marshman

North Wales

The small office, which was only about 2m square got knocked down accidentally, someone then took all the bricks and built a garden shed!

Sounds like you did well fitting all that machinery in there

Blink

I have been talking with Gary Marshman today i understand you are interested in the Dunlop Street works sold to Henry Whitham in 1968 by Firth Derihon .The factory contained one 1000 ton forging press two drop stamps four hammers 10 cwt - 3 cwt one trimming press one rotary shot blast machine

several pedestal grinders three die sinking machines two planing machines .

I Hope this information helps all powered by electricity

memory is not what it was still at 81 years old what can you expect

regards Jim Hall

Blink

From the info provided by Jim Hall, the largest single machine demand for power in the early 1960's probably was needed by the 1000 ton Press , at 100 H.P.

So at say 75 KW , plus the other machinery in the factory, a Power requirement of max 500 KW would have been ample.

Maybe the intention was at a later date a conversion from Gas to Electric Arc for the furnaces and Heat Treatment facilitiy where this extra power of available 1500 KW would be needed.

Gary Marshman

Noth Wales

i worked at firth derihon tinsley as an electrician from feb 1961 to sert 1993 quite a few memories would love to share

jim hall[/quote

---------- Post added 12-02-2013 at 21:27 ----------

[/color]

jim hall

My brother Brian Dickinson was maintenance for an there for years

---------- Post added 15-02-2013 at 22:18 ----------

jim hall

Jim

You would know My brother brian then ??

Edited by johnfromoz

johnfromoz

John I know your brother very well he tormented me for about 16 years at work and still does. I also remember you many years ago we met a derihons it was Christmas time Brian and I always went down to check heating ect and feed the cats you came with him one Christmas if you remember when we got there we found water in the offices and you helped us to clear up the mess. I still keep in touch with Brian.

thanks for getting in touch

regards Jim

Thanks for the reply Jim The grey matter is not as good as it was, Brian and I regularly phone each other I will mention you next time we speak, We are coming over in Sept it would be nice to catch up for a beer or 3