Anyone our there remember Mellowes on Corporation St. I started work there in 1949 in what was the Commissioner's Office. Supposedly as an office girl, but general dog's body would be nearer the mark. We had to take the post around all the departments twice a day and it was a big place. Make tea for the directors etc. When taking post to the machine shop and engineering shop there were always cat calls and whistles from the fellas there!! Happy memories tho':)

There is a chap lives near me who was a rigger with Mellowes.His first name is Jack & I think his surname is Purseglove.Will ask him more the next time I see him.

My Father worked at Mellowes, Langsett Road from the early 1930's until he retired in 1965. He was involved in making the window frames for the City Hall and during WW11 he was a profile cutter making Bailey Bridges which were used in the liberation of France 1944/5. Also two cousins were apprentices there until being called up for military service in 1939, unfortunately both lost their lives, aged 19 and 20 years.

Remind me Choirgirl, what did they do, Mellowes that is. Did they make and fix metal window frames among other things?

I believe they had the world copyright for lead glazed windows.

Hi Texas - yes you are right, they fitted lead windows and wire mesh windows.

It was a very big firm. My two brothers were roof glaziers, the eldest being a foreman.

Can you remember Jim or Joyce in the draughtmans office?

Hi Kidorry - Jim or Joyce who? Do you have any surnames? Don't ring a bell otherwise. Did you work there? I left in 1955

No I never worked there.Joyce Bingham,Jim Dempsey & Harold Roddis.Do they ring any bells.

Harold Roddis rings a bell, but not the other two. How do you know them?

Had a drink or two with them.

Hello Multiparvo

What was your fathers name ?. My husbands uncle worked at Mellowes Langsett Road from 1930 to approx 1968. He was first tool setter and maintenance engineer. His name is Harry Fox is still alive and well. I have just spoken to him and he can remember working on Bailey Bridges during the war. I hope you don't mind me asking but I am sure that he would like to know names.