Lant's Fish & Chip shop in Attercliffe

Anyone remember Lant's fish & chip shop on Attercliffe Common?. When i was kid my mum & dad would drive from Brinsworth in Rotherham all the way there because the fish and chips were so good.

It's been gone now for something like 40 years I should think, the entire row of shops where Lant's chippy was, now demolished.

I often think about that old shop, and would love to know if anyone else remembers it.

Hi Billy24

I have only just come across your post quite by accident. The answer to your question is a very big YES! They were my grandparents!!

I'm really pleased your Mum liked the fish and chips so much. I was only a youngster back then but can remember the shop used to be very busy. My Dad informs me that my Grandad always bought the best quality fish that was available as he wasn't one to scrimp.

Its funny me finding your thread as I posted recently on the 'Attercliffe' thread asking if anyone remembered the shop. I will show my Dad your post next time he's round, he'll be well pleased.

My Grandma's sister and hubby also had a fish and chip shop called 'Torrys' in Grimesthorpe, not sure if you knew that one as well?

Hi Mate!

Yes I well remember your grandparents shop, they sold the best fish & chips anywhere. I too was only a young lad in those days, my mum and dad wouldn't eat anything from the fish & chip shops in Brinsworth where we lived so dad would get the car out every time and fetch them from Lant's on Attercliffe Common.

We nearly always went to Blackpool for our holidays and my dad would put his foot down on our return back so we made it back to your grandparents shop for Saturday dinner time before they shut, I can remember him doing this like it was yesterday, dad sadly passed away last year.

Yep, great fish & chips, (wrapped in newspaper) - like they should be, and you're right the shop used to get packed at times as it was so popular with everyone.

I am so glad you saw my post about the shop, best regards to you and your father. :thumbsup:

Lants fish and chips. There was two fish and chip shops across the road from Amberley Street. I worked for the Admiralty on Janson Street and would fetch chips for the workers on a Wed. and Fri. lunch of which I recieved 2pence per order. Was Lants one of these?

Each friday after brownies it was our treat for all of us to go to Lants - They were excellent Chips and free scraps, lots of salt and vinegar - looking back I think most of us went to Brownies for our treat - it was surprising how the numbers grew over the weeks - It has certainly brought back memories

Discovery

Just come across this thread. You might already have seen it, but there's a picture of Torry's Chippy in JR Wrigley's book 'A Pitsmoor Camera'.

I know I keep plugging these books, but they really are rather good.

What is Torry's Chippy? ... this thread is about Lants fish & chip shop???.

Billy

Quote from Discovery's answer to your orginal question:

"My Grandma's sister and hubby also had a fish and chip shop called 'Torrys' in Grimesthorpe, not sure if you knew that one as well?"

Lant's and Jacksons(just a bit further up the 'Cliffe) chippies were the best in Sheffield.There are no chippies that can compare these days except when you go to the coast. I miss them!

Thanks Akadok I understand what you mean now about Torrys, Grimesthorpe is a fair bit away from where Lant's was though and i didn't know it.

Thanks Yarmouth, I wish I could remember Jackson's chippie but I can't. I was only a kid when Lant's was on the go but remember the stuff they served up was smashing.

My late mum & dad would go nowhere else AND we lived in Rotherham!.

The wife knows of this Chippy,but she knows it as Lamb's not lant's