Map of the "Lost rivers, streams, brooks and springs of Sheffield"

"The Lost Rivers, Streams and Brooks of Sheffield"

For interest, a reconstructed map of Sheffield's watery past, using various techniques and sources.

You can view the map here at www.facebook.com/DaylightingUrbanRivers. Please note, it is available to everyone, and you will not need a Facebook account to view it.

Someone posted a copy on Google Maps.

This is part of research at the University of Sheffield's Catchment Science Centre.

The position of the streams shown are based on multiple sources of data and judgement. Some are quite certain, some are very uncertain, such as the drainage of springs that once fed Barker's Pool in the city centre. Sheffield's landscape has dramatically changed, like most urban areas, with moors being drained, valleys being infilled, streams and ditches drying up or diverted elsewhere. As such, this map should be considered a draft of indicative locations of streams only at this stage.

Any information is very welcome from people to help to verify or dispute the locations of streams and springs shown on the map!

Edited by abroadhead
Updated link

Interesting picture. Is it possible to zoom in/out or move to the areas just off your photo?

Thanks.

Certainly, yes. In the caption to the image on Facebook via the link above, there is a downloadable KML/KMZ file. If you have Google Earth, you will be able to load this file and zoom in to the full map.

Please note, I only focused on certain parts of Sheffield. Mainly the southern areas draining into the River Sheaf, the Porter Brook, the Rivelin valley, parts of Sheffield north of the River Don draining into the Don before Meadowhall, and as far upstream as Hillsborough and the River Loxley.

Up to me being about ten years of age the Meers Brook which ran from somewere at the back of Oak Street scout hut was at the bottom of Bradbury and Arthington Street. It was diverted underground in six foot Dia. pipes to the river Sheaf (I think). Anyone else remember this.

Heard the Don is now coated over with tarmack and used for a parking lot

Hi Adam - I can't find the KML download link on the facebook page. There is a download link, but that just downloads the jpg.

Hi Adam - I can't find the KML download link on the facebook page. There is a download link, but that just downloads the jpg.

Apologies, had to take it down for while. Someone did upload a copy of it to Google Maps though, which you can find here:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=215827725556475405514.0004da13ce335b9c39834&msa=0&ll=53.34348,-1.478455&spn=0.006802,0.015256

I've had feedback on the map, and know that a few of these are not quite accurate - e.g. the watercourse that flows under Swamp Walk by Hillsborough Barracks.

Hi

Years ago there was a large pond situated on Cardoness Drive.

It was fed by spring water coming out of the ground on the high side of the road.

I know of old photographs of this pond but have never seen them.

Maybe somebody out there knows more. if so I'd be very interested in seeing them.

Happy Days! PopT

Does anyone remember the stream that came out of a pipe in the dip at the end of Bevan Way at Burncross. Always had tadpoles and we had hours of fun playing in it and always walked through it from School. Its now covered over by the Burncross Surgery. I presume the watercourse must still be there but culverted, does anyone know where it comes out?

Does anyone remember the stream that came out of a pipe in the dip at the end of Bevan Way at Burncross. Always had tadpoles and we had hours of fun playing in it and always walked through it from School. Its now covered over by the Burncross Surgery. I presume the watercourse must still be there but culverted, does anyone know where it comes out?

There are a few there. One starts as field drains from an historic ground water spring off Windmill Hill Lane - no longer marked on maps but present in older maps (precisely here: http://goo.gl/maps/Lojfk), heading south to meet the Blackburn Brook at Ecclesfield, passing underground several times.

Another begins just off the school field between Bevan Way and Acacia Avenue. This flows east, and does not join with the aforementioned. It forms the garden boundary from the point of the school field until the playing field to the immediate east, where it flows open, though probably inaccessible behind bushes. It is culverted (buried) under the playing field. The footpath that cuts a straight line from the east edge of this playing field in a north-easterly direction along the backs of homes off Berry Holme Drive, Willow Crescent, California Drive etc, is in fact the exact route of the still buried stream. Still buried, it cuts 90 degrees to flow south-easterly between the estate homes and the Royal British Legion (?) building. It flows under Ecclesfield Road, under the railway line, then joins the Blackburn Brook just there.

Another historic stream flowed from a natural spring rising precisely here: http://goo.gl/maps/vu1RY. I am not sure what the current building is, but looks like a cross shape with a courtyard. The now culverted stream flows beneath the community centre, eastwards, beneath the library, under Nether Ley Avenue, and forms the meandering garden boundary of homes off Smith Street and and Burncross Road. In the 1850s it could have ended the village centre, near the current roundabout, feeding troughs for drinking water and other uses. Where it flows now is not clear. Probably under the railway and off to the Blackburn Brook somewhere near there.

When we moved to Burncross Road in 1982 we were told a stream ran from Chapel Road, near the old Church at Burncross Road end, down into Chapeltown. We understand it was put underground in pipes when the houses at top side of Wharncliffe Arms were built. This sounds like the one refered to above.