Map of the "Lost rivers, streams, brooks and springs of Sheffield"

Yes, someone uploaded it onto Google Maps for me. Here it is:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=215827725556475405514.0004da13ce335b9c39834&msa=0&dg=feature

Would be interested to know if you have thoughts / comments / corrections for it based on your own knowledge.

Many thanks for that. You also have a pm in regards to it.

"The Lost Rivers, Streams and Brooks of Sheffield"

For interest, a reconstructed map of Sheffield's watery past, using various techniques and sources.

You can view the map here at www.facebook.com/DaylightingUrbanRivers. Please note, it is available to everyone, and you will not need a Facebook account to view it.

Someone posted a copy on Google Maps.

This is part of research at the University of Sheffield's Catchment Science Centre.

The position of the streams shown are based on multiple sources of data and judgement. Some are quite certain, some are very uncertain, such as the drainage of springs that once fed Barker's Pool in the city centre. Sheffield's landscape has dramatically changed, like most urban areas, with moors being drained, valleys being infilled, streams and ditches drying up or diverted elsewhere. As such, this map should be considered a draft of indicative locations of streams only at this stage.

Any information is very welcome from people to help to verify or dispute the locations of streams and springs shown on the map!

That's superb, even if it's a little speculative.

Some very interesting picture of Sheffields old waterways currently for sale on E bay . Mega money though.

---------- Post added 16-07-2014 at 22:51 ----------

[/color]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHEFFIELD-WATERCOURSE-VICTORIAN-PHOTOGRAPHS-RARE-ONE-OFFS/161347538349?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3D8363850316733996715%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D20131017132637%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D161347538349

Try that link or it migh just be easier to look for Sheffield watrercourses Vivorian photographs.

Those photos are fantastic. Hard to read, but in many cases they illustrate the relatively small size of these little "lost streams". Some ended up in troughs as a water supply at the side of a road, others continued down hill.

---------- Post added 17-07-2014 at 07:49 ----------

That's superb, even if it's a little speculative.

Thank you - for more information about the methods, see this paper:

http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Adam_Broadhead/publication/258859114_A_multiple_lines_of_evidence_approach_to_indicate_capture_of_lost_urban_streams_and_springs_in_combined_sewers/file/3deec52946a9d062a5.pdf

A fully detailed paper is being prepared now. The map combines various sources of information, such as from old maps, modelling the flow routes based on contours, looking at geology maps and borehole records, using information in old books and accounts (*), local knowledge from people like yourselves, and street names / place names.

(*) For the person wanting to know about the Parkwood Springs / Burngreave "lost stream" - you may be interested to see the sort of information you can get from historical texts. In this transcript of a ~100 year old book about Sheffield, there are lots of references to water supplies from old streams. Search for "Wesleyan chapel", and read the paragraph beginning "Mr George Carr" and the one after.

"Mr. George Carr, for many years a member of the Sheffield City Council, has told me much concerning old Burngreave and Pitsmoor. Referring to Burngreave he said its natural drainage was from the Rutland Hills to Shirecliffe, though this only coursed down to Pitsmoor and Neepsend. The stream behind the present Wesleyan Chapel in Burngreave commenced at Shirecliffe Hill Top and emptied itself into an open sheet of water at the corner of what subsequently became Christchurch Road. Thence it went down to the site of the present Vestry Hall, where was again an open sheet of water and, in flood time, extended as far as the present Brightside Library, where a boy was once drowned. At Smith's Flour Mills there was yet another open water space, but this had been formed artificially for condensing purposes, and from all these several pools the water ran down into the open ditch which ran along the railway side at the foot of Spital Hill.

In Burngreave Wood, now the Cemetery, there was a natural water course, and another in the grounds of Mr. H. J. Wilson's new house. Where Nottingham Street and Andover Street are to-day was a natural watershed to the Vestry Hall, and the old main road from Sheffield to Barnsley was then up Pye Bank by Nursery Street, along White Rails, with no bridge then either at Corporation Street or White Rails, and Mr. Carr was speaking from his memories of over sixty years before. "Spital Hill Road," as it then was, went on to Grimesthorpe with the old road starting from the site of the Vestry Hall proceeding by All Saints' Church. From Attercliffe the only way was by a bridle path emerging at Carwood Lane, thence up Carwood Road to Grimesthorpe, and so to Osgathorpe. This was at that time the only way of getting from Attercliffe to Pitsmoor catch bar."

Abroadhead. When I said we used to play in the watercourse flowing down from Parkwood there were no actual woods, or even a tree, anywhere in the area. It was just a small stream running from somewhere near the top of Cookswood Road. It eventually disappeared, or should I say diffused, somewhere at the bottom. I suppose that's where it entered the general drainage system. All this was in the 40's you understand. It held a wealth of interest to us kids, the main one being Caddis larvae and in places toward the bottom, Brook Lampreys. Stand on me.

Edited by Texas

We are just having a debate about Meersbrook, all of it's tributaries have different names but can't remember what the names are. On recent google map every single one if 9 is called Meersbrook? That's not right is it?

We are just having a debate about Meersbrook, all of it's tributaries have different names but can't remember what the names are. On recent google map every single one if 9 is called Meersbrook? That's not right is it?

Blame Google maps for that :D

There was a small stream and spring Which ran down from Longley Ave West to the power station,we used to drink from this as kids,I dont know if it had a name.Another one ran from Teynham Rd Bus terminus down Scraith wood to the Herries road pond I presume that it started up Parkwood.

The section on Arbourthorne that starts somewhere by the old Hurlfield School, which I presume is a tributary of the Meers Brook, I can confirm, ran through my garden when I lived in the finnegan houses off Berners road.

There was a small stream and spring Which ran down from Longley Ave West to the power station,we used to drink from this as kids,I dont know if it had a name.Another one ran from Teynham Rd Bus terminus down Scraith wood to the Herries road pond I presume that it started up Parkwood.

This one down Herries Road area? Mock up of what it could be like if opened up.

https://m.facebook.com/DaylightingUrbanRivers/photos/pb.495423393806451.-2207520000.1418804070./660509623964493/?type=1&source=42

This one down Herries Road area? Mock up of what it could be like if opened up.

https://m.facebook.com/DaylightingUrbanRivers/photos/pb.495423393806451.-2207520000.1418804070./660509623964493/?type=1&source=42

Thanks abroadhead this would be the upper part which i presume was piped when the road was built.

I found an old map circa1850 showing the stream that used to flow parallel with Cookswood Rd. It was on, appropriately enough, the 'Old Maps' website. It shows as in the report, via Phanerothyme, opening out into a broad sheet of water at what would be the bottom of Minna Road off Pitsmoor Road. And fancy the name Parkwood being known as the Rutland Hills back in the early 1800's. I like that better than Parkwood.

When I went to Meynell rd school 1950 to 1960 there was a stream that ran across the field. Covered over and built on now, I think it ended up at the fishing pond by the five arches