"Sheffield Equalized Independent Druids"

Hello Sandroula.....

Very interesting.....1891 was a bit before my Granfather's involvement with the Sheffield Druids but it just goes to show how complex the history of these Friendly Societies is......someone (with lots of time on their hands) needs to write a good book on them...... !

Many thanks for the posting,

dfss

Thanks Sandroula.....

Interesting indeed....

I remember when young that some of the earlier documents in my Grandfather's Northumberland Road offices were posted or written from Crewe and Northwich (one such dated 1844) which sort of fits with this potted history....at that time I was primarily interested in the Victorian stamps on them.....

Thanks once again,

dfss

I have been going through some of my dads belongings and came across a medal for the Sheffield Equalized independent Druids. If anyone knows if the medal has any value and/or where to sell it, I'd be interested as I have to realise the maximum for dad's estate.

Thanks, Nigel Dernley

Sorry Nigel....

I've no idea. You might approach Sheffield city museums. They gave me some valuable information on an unusual fused plate item last year.

Best,

Dfss

I have been going through some of my dads belongings and came across a medal for the Sheffield Equalized independent Druids. If anyone knows if the medal has any value and/or where to sell it, I'd be interested as I have to realise the maximum for dad's estate...
Hi Nigel - the medal most likely isn't worth a great deal but you never know (it may of course depend on the metal - some Druid medals were struck in sterling silver). Museums don't usually give valuations but if you are in Sheffield you could take it to Dowse's - here is their website - otherwise another auction firm. For what it's worth, a Druid bronze medal is on offer here via eBay at £145..:) Edited by hillsbro

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't think it would be worth much, but must check if it is silver. The one on eBay is much more grand than mine and I can see why it's so much. There's another life out there, isn't there, with so much going one we never suspect! Cheers all, Nigel

Just cone across this post. I worked at Sheffield Druids in the middle 60s on Wilkinson Street as an audit clerk. It was a sort of insurance company which also paid sick pay. Funny old company really very old fashioned. We used to have a conference once year think it was Scarborough were all the lodges got together. I was the youngest member of staff by about 40 years so moved on after about three years. I moved to Suffolk years ago and now retired to Felixstowe

Hi Lynda - it's good to have your input. I can quite imagine that it would have been an old-fashioned organisation. Friendly societies generally tended to decline with the rise of the welfare state, but their non-profit ethos fulfilled an important role in earlier times. The Royal Liver was one of the largest, but (as I mentioned in post #3) as a bank messenger in the early 1970s I used to deliver documents to a number of friendly societies in Sheffield. Sometimes they were affiliated to such organisations as the Druids, and one I remember on Union Street was run by the "Independent Order of Rechabites" (a Rechabite being a very strict teetotaller). I also mention in post #5 one of our neighbours in Dykes Hall Road who was a druid; he used to go to meetings, I imagine dressed in long robes etc.

I have found this topic really interesting.My father used to be a working member of the "Sheffield equalized independent druids"in the late 40s early 50s.He must have been some kind of bookkeeper or accountant as he used to come home with loads of ledgers etc,all full of figures which needed adding up.I used to add them all up to see if I could get them right.He went to regular meetings and often talked about "lodge night"and a bloke called"Fountain".I was always under the impression he was going somewhere down Hillsboro to the meetings but I could be wrong here.There was also a man called George Basford who did a lot of work for "The Druids as they used to call it.George used to go all over Sheffield on foot and on buses collecting subs,he lived on Minto Road.When I reached the age of 16 (1956)he asked me if I wanted to do any of the work as my father had died and Druids business was booming,I declined as I was in full time employment and hadn't the time.George must have been younger than my father as he kept on collecting for years,in fact I took out an endowment for my two year old son in 1978 and I used to go to Georges house to pay my subs.Somewhere along the payment period George died and I then went to Wilkinson Street to pay my subs until the endowment matured.When this endowment did mature it gave a massive return compared to other companies, for the small premium paid.George always used to say "The Druids"had the best finances and were as safe as houses.I am a bit brassed off that when I moved house about 8 years ago I threw away some Druids payment books as I well remember they had names of Druids members on them and a bit of Druids information.

Hi speedway fan - glad you found the thread interesting. The name George Basford rings a bell with me - I think he was a friend my father's (maybe they both played bowls in Hillsborough Park?) George is shown at 43 Minto Road in Kelly's directories from the early 1950s to the last directory of 1974.

The name Fountain is mentioned in post #45 on Page 3; he must have been an official of the druids. The links to old photos that I gave early in the thread don't always work, so here are two new. links and a slightly enlarged view of the banner.

@hillsbro Hi Hillsbro, my name is Curtis and I work at Sheffield Mutual Friendly Society. As part of our 2020 Annual Member's Newsletter we're conducting research into the Society's history to put together a timeline of events. I have picked up some really useful information from this forum but wondered if you had anything else you'd be able to share with me?

If you'd like to chat our office telephone number is 01226 741000 or you can contact me at [email protected].

Curtis