Tempered springs ltd warren ST

SheffNiner, Sam Duke worked with my father, Harry Gill. They got on really well and, between them, drove Tempered's 3/5 ton Austin lorries and sometimes a small Austin A40 van and I would love to see a picture of these if anyone out there has any.

Hi jgill,

I'll ask my dad if he has any photos of Sam when he was

the driver. I met him loads pf times when I was a kid, usually

when he came to our house in kids summer holidays in 1970's.

Mark.

Does anyone remember my Mother, Nellie Carrington, she worked there from 1960 to 1985.

She sadly passed away in 1999.

I used to load Harry Gills lorry Sandygate Haulage in Warren Street he was a great guy and always laughing.He used to take boxes of springs we had packed in the warehouse up to R.D.B. Freight at Birley Vale.He in fact got me a job up there were I worked for many years.

SheffNiner, it would be awesome if he had any old photos. Thanks for your post and I await any news.

---------- Post added 23-11-2014 at 21:09 ----------

Thanks for that ken

I worked at Tempered Springs. James Scholey. My Grandad did too, Ernest Scholey.

Hi were did your dad work I worked in the 22 and 25 dept maintanence I Left in 1974 to come to Canada Brian

It was my Grandad, he worked in the stabiliser bar division, as did I (much later on)

I worked at Tempered Spring January 1973 to July 1977

Started off working in the labs on Effingham Street

Boss : Graham Hendy (later Eric Rotherham?) Frances Johnson and

??Derek Gibson

Anybody remember when the Gas holder blew up on Effingham Street

?1974ish. Eric Rotherham's 1949 Bentley was parked next to a wall & got

a large concrete beam blown onto it - it was a banana shaped write off - although it did make the Sheffield Star!

Became Manager ?40 dept in the old building between Warren St. and

Norfolk bridge next to the Personnel Department (John Allen - personnel Manager?)

Manufactured Bendix Brake Springs, and David Brown Tractor Springs

(still have one of these on my mantelpiece!) My office over-looked

the river. The shop clerk was named May (her husband Joe worked in

41 dept. ?)

Denzil Wheeler Shop Steward, Ron ? worked on a press Straightening /Finishing springs, Stan Polish worker,

Bert ? supervisor (always saying "chuffing this and chuffing that"!), Tommy ? supervisor used to set up

spring coiling machines - retired in 1976

Brian ? overall production manager

I remember Ernest Scholey - car sway bar (anti-roll bar) department.

I moved up to another department on Bacon Lane making Quinton Hazell Diaphragm Springs also Belleville washers.

Made Redundant/Sacked in 1977 - I was the Staff Association Rep for

the production managers and didn't always see eye to eye with

Senior Management!

I also remember Mick Shepherd

Richard Alderton

Can't believe you remember my Grandad :-) Happy days.

I worked in stabiliser bars factory for about 4 years, I think maybe from 1992 -1995. We made anti roll bars for cars - Saab, Ford and others. Did all sections, paint ballard, forging, bending, shot blasting.. and a few other jobs. Wish I could remember all the guys names. We had a foreman call Derek for a while and a Graham.

I do remember a Roy - Big knob Roy we called him. He used to get it out for the sandwich lady to have a play with - all in good humour like, twer a big un for sure.

Memories from temepered springs;

- Seeing my Grandad come in as an old man long after his retirement for a visit and seeing me on the paint ballard loading bars, brought a tear to his eye although he would never have admitted it.

- Getting my boots painted on a 12 hrs shift at 4 in the morning on a job where I couldn't do anything other than laugh

- On the forge line on night shift when England beat Germany 5-0.

- Lads would come and stick a fag in yer mouth because hands were that busy you couldnt do it for yer self

- An old guy called yaya, obviously way past retirement age reconed he didnt even know how old he was himself, used to bring letters in for us to read to him cus he couldnt read. basically some bird was taking him for everything he had.

- Going home on the bus after 12 hours shifts with black arms and one red boot one blue boot and holes in me jeans from the white hot bars

- Going to me locker after a 12 hour shift and realising someone had put super glue in key hole

- I wish I could remember his name, an old guy who was always on shot blast, really looked after me and respected my grandad (as he had looked after him)

All in all I've never worked with a more fantastic bunch of blokes.

Do any of you guys remember Frank Cundy he was the fitter in the 40 dept I worked in there sometimes Brian

Brian - vaguely remember the name - but there are so many things I've forgotten, inevitable I suppose after 40 odd years.

I did remember eventually that the overall manager was Brian Woodward

and the manager in charge of the valve spring department in the Warren

St. building was Neil Hawksworth.

JScholy - the one thing that does stick in my mind from your Grandads Department was the sequence of hydraulic bending anvils that started

off with a red hot straight bar and bent it into a really complex anti roll

bar! - fascinating to watch! - the bars that were being made were I

think late Cortina, and early Ford Sierra ones.

What was the department number for the area you worked in?

Hi I worked in the 22 and the 25 dept on maintenance Brian

---------- Post added 28-12-2014 at 15:58 ----------

Hi fairly old git do you know Ted Phoenix he was a fitter there Brian

---------- Post added 28-12-2014 at 15:59 ----------

Hi fairly old git do you know Ted Phoenix he was a fitter there Brian