Sheffieldish - words & phrases

Hi trastrick

Was your Mum Carol Parkin from Arbourthorne ?

---------- Post added 18-12-2014 at 18:40 ----------

britches-----trousers, knickers

causey---pavement

faffin’-- messing about

flaggin’--getting tired

Hi trastrick

Was your Mum Carol Parkin from Arbourthorne ?

---------- Post added 18-12-2014 at 18:40 ----------

britches-----trousers, knickers

causey---pavement

faffin’-- messing about

flaggin’--getting tired

Sorry, I'm a Rastrick on my father's side, and a Morris on my mother's.

Grew up in Heeley, then Arbouthorne.

Sorry but I thought this was you :)

trastrick

23-06-2013, 11:28

I remember Pete Scholey's mum Connie. Her and my Nanan were good friends. My Nanan was Eva Parkin and she lived with her parents Edgar and Eva Stocks on Myrtle Road, opposide the cobbles on Heeley Green. My mum Carol Parkin born 1944 went to Heeley Bank school, as did her brother Ronnie Parkin who is a few years older.

Yes, I remember Connie, she was a single mother at the time and working.

Me and Pete set up their cellar kitchen to make small tables and stools, but we never finished the first one. He did go on to be a joiner though. Last I heard Pete was in South Africa.

My granma Caswell lived across the road at 348, next door to my pal Hewie Keenan. Another pal Frank Roncksly lived a couple of doors down.

I do remember Ronnie at Heeley Bank, a year or two older than me. He played football for the school.

(I hadn't heard that term "cobbles" in 60 years.)

Was this Frank Ronksley at Nether Edge Grammar in the first half of the 1950's? If so we were in the same form.

Mike

Here is a saying I heard one morning in the Barnsley area,I thought it funny and fitting at the time!.It happened in a paper shop around 8am,I nipped in for a paper,the shop was very busy people queuing waiting their turn when this little old dear pushed her way to the front!.She must have been a regular as the shop owner who was a double for Uncle Fester asked"Can I help you love?" "Ar has tha got Exchange and Mart?",he passed it to her,then she flicked through it keeping everybody waiting,found what she was looking for closed it turned walked out leaving it on the counter!.Exasperated Uncle Fester looked at everyone and said"Well did ya see that its enough to make you grind ginger with your arsehole!",at which we all burst out laughing,it cheered my morning up that day!.

Just because dictionarys attribute other meanings to 'cockled' does not mean our version is wrong, just that they did not do their research thoroughly.

If you let others dictate their standards on and to you ...then they will.

cockled ower..however you choose to spell it

can mean anything from not vertical to turned upside down.

A pet hate is people trying to tell others how to spell both yorkshire and sheffieldish. It is spelled the same as most people spell things.

If you are trying to spell it phonetically to enable correct pronunciation please stop putting t' in wherever you feel like it. Its typical of none native speakers and makes the writer look a prat.

something on a shelf is .....ont shelf almost becoming one word

on t' shelf ...looks as though it was written by an ignorant academic

here's one more for the list..... laikin ... also not in any standard dictionaries ... meanings dependent on context

playing

messing

loitering

hanging around ....distinct from loitering

hiya. opn ended, arsortit,

My mate were always sayin ' Gioor mytherin'!

This were all back in old days when everybody got stuff on tick or never never, nob-di bought a telly back then thi rented it on weekly, an when tha went to work next day every body had been watchin same programs because there were only one channel an it went off at ten a clock ...

Good night everybody, good night...

Edited by grinder

Memum sent me fora pinta milk but theyd selt out

(My Mum sent me for a pint of milk but they had sold out)

This were all back in old days when everybody got stuff on tick or never never, nob-di bought a telly back then thi rented it on weekly, an when tha went to work next day every body had been watchin same programs because there were only one channel an it went off at ten a clock ...

Good night everybody, good night...

remember one programe i saw on my first tv around 1950 it was called men of champagne.

hiya griinder j,praps thar remembers arv jus thort on warrabart oops a daisie, an daffie down dillie,.an remember wasselin fort new year like hole in the pocket,hole in the shoe please can you spare a copper or two,if tha ant gorra penny aipny will do, if tha ant gorra aipny god bless you.

Edited by willybite