Bennett College

Does anybody know anything about Bennett College in Sheffield? Where was it, what was it and what has happened to it?

The reason I ask is that I have an old text book issued byt he college.

Bennett College was on Melbourne Avenue in Broomhill. About halfway down I think. It was a correspondence school. My mother worked there in the 50s/early 60s and I had a Saturday job there - filing! The college offered courses in a number of subjects and the pupils came from all over the world, many from Africa. They received lessons and returned them completed for marking, presumably there was some sort of qualification but I don't know. The college employed a considerable number of local women as secretaries most of whom worked part time to fit in with families. I don't know when it closed but I don't suppose there are many ex-employees left now.

There is more information on http://www.glias.org.uk/news/182news.html. Alternatively 'google' 'The Bennett College' or look on the Greater London Industrial Archaeology Society website.

The college was part of ICS (International Correspondence Schools) and it 'faded away in the late 1950s. They published their own books that now appear on antiquarian booksites. The 'google' will probably find a link to one of them.

There is a reference to the college in Whites Directory of 1919 when the address was Regent Street Sheffield.

Does anybody know anything about Bennett College in Sheffield? Where was it, what was it and what has happened to it?

The reason I ask is that I have an old text book issued byt he college.

I worked at Bennett's College from 1944 to 1946 and have a photo of some of the staff working there at the time

It was situated on Melboune Ave., off Glossop Rd, Broomhill. It was a very large house. I remember it had an impressive entrance hall with a grand staircase but we staff had to use the Tradesmen's entrance on the side of the building.

I have "the human machine" and on inside cover it is signed "with compliments of J H Bennett founder of the Bennett college Sheffield"

Bennett College was on Melbourne Avenue in Broomhill. About halfway down I think. It was a correspondence school. My mother worked there in the 50s/early 60s and I had a Saturday job there - filing! The college offered courses in a number of subjects and the pupils came from all over the world, many from Africa. They received lessons and returned them completed for marking, presumably there was some sort of qualification but I don't know. The college employed a considerable number of local women as secretaries most of whom worked part time to fit in with families. I don't know when it closed but I don't suppose there are many ex-employees left now.

I too have an old book of my uncles (lived in Sheff) who took an art course probably 1940s. My grandchildren have all copied the cartoon style characters out of it and the facial expressions.