Renting a flat with a cat

Does anyone have any experience of this? My girlfriend & me are hoping to move to Sheffield, hopefully to a city centre flat or a flat or house in Sharrow, Ecclesall Rd, Broomhill, Crookes etc... Trouble is she has a house cat (it's disabled so doesn't go outside). We have excellent references for our place here but notice a lot of adverts say "no pets" so not sure how we're going to find somewhere that'll accept us. Any ideas?

not many cats come with a flat... you usually have to bring your own...lol

if you want a house cat thats fully trained, and doesnt like going outside much i have a lovely black one im trying to find a home for , litter trained and everything..

Does anyone have any experience of this? My girlfriend & me are hoping to move to Sheffield, hopefully to a city centre flat or a flat or house in Sharrow, Ecclesall Rd, Broomhill, Crookes etc... Trouble is she has a house cat (it's disabled so doesn't go outside). We have excellent references for our place here but notice a lot of adverts say "no pets" so not sure how we're going to find somewhere that'll accept us. Any ideas?

I understand a lot of landlords in most of the areas you mention are struggling for tenants. This is because there has been so much pupose-built student accommodation, that many landlords have rapidly lost their market, as it were.

In light of this, I would personally get in touch with the agent or the landlord whichever is possible, explain your situation, tell them how well behaved your cat is etc and what great tenants you'd make. I think you'll find that approached in the right way, with maybe the offer of an extra bond to cover any potential damage a cat might cause, that there will be landlords out there prepared to take you on, even if they advertise as no pets.

I really hope you get sorted.

I don't think its particularly damage the landlord will be bothered about, its the smell which will pervade for subsequent tenants!

I don't think its particularly damage the landlord will be bothered about, its the smell which will pervade for subsequent tenants!

What smell? I take it if you've ever owned a cat it was an entire Tom, in which case yes there may well be a smell. Responsible cat owners, i.e the majority, who neuter and/or spay their pets don't suffer from such problems though.

What smell? I take it if you've ever owned a cat it was an entire Tom, in which case yes there may well be a smell. Responsible cat owners, i.e the majority, who neuter and/or spay their pets don't suffer from such problems though.

I had a neutered tom for 20 years and yes, cats do smell whether tom or queen, neutered or not! If you have a cat in the house you'll not smell it, but when you haven't you can smell when someone has a cat living in their house ... same as dogs, its a fact that all animals give off an odour. Even more so if there is litter tray in the house!

I now have 2 cats, but didn't have any for years and I've never smelt cats at anybody elses houses when I didn't have them. I can smell a 'doggie' house immediately the door is opened, but do not agree that cats smell at all, nevermind leave a smell that will 'pervade for subsequent tenants'

A litter tray if freshly used can indeed be eye-watering, but empty the offending nasty, and the smell goes. If you don't keep the tray generally clean it will smell, but plenty of boiling water and bleach does the trick.

I now have 2 cats, but didn't have any for years and I've never smelt cats at anybody elses houses when I didn't have them. I can smell a 'doggie' house immediately the door is opened, but do not agree that cats smell at all, nevermind leave a smell that will 'pervade for subsequent tenants'

A litter tray if freshly used can indeed be eye-watering, but empty the offending nasty, and the smell goes. If you don't keep the tray generally clean it will smell, but plenty of boiling water and bleach does the trick.

Likewise keeping a litter tray clean does the trick, if it left then its not the cat thats the problem its the lazy owner.

To the O/P good luck,

Someone we know had to give up her 2 cats because the agent sad NO pets at all, 2 years later the flat owner came to see her and the property, he said the agent hadn't mentioned anything to him, and that he didn't have a problem with her keeping a cat.

I had a neutered tom for 20 years and yes, cats do smell whether tom or queen, neutered or not! If you have a cat in the house you'll not smell it, but when you haven't you can smell when someone has a cat living in their house ... same as dogs, its a fact that all animals give off an odour. Even more so if there is litter tray in the house!

I have a flat rented out and I let the couple in with a flat trained cat (lol). No problems with scratching but it smells of cat food and you can smell it in the living room although the litter tray and food bowl is in the kitchen.

Lesson taught there, no more cats!

I have a flat rented out and I let the couple in with a flat trained cat (lol). No problems with scratching but it smells of cat food and you can smell it in the living room although the litter tray and food bowl is in the kitchen.

Lesson taught there, no more cats!

Thats a fair comment wet catfood does whiff, but then it does when someone is cooking a curry, we feed our cats dry food from sealed boxes and just sold our house with no problem about cats in fact most viewers thought we were much cleaner than themselves.

Maybe because we clean/hoover the house every day, and cat trays are housed in wooded boxes that have lids/doors.

We once bought a house from a couple who had a cat(s) and after half an hour of being in the house I had to leave... I am allergic to cat hair and there was obviously still a lot left in the carpets. My husband had to put the dyson over it several times and shampoo the living room carpet. So I can understand why landlords don't allow pets, or ask for additional bond money to cover the additional cleaning required when the tenants leave.

Some leases on flats also do not allow pets, so it isn't always the landlords decision.