Martin McGuinness dies aged 66

Didn't see that coming:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-39185899

"Sinn Féin's Martin McGuinness, Northern Ireland's former deputy first minister, has died aged 66.

It is understood he had been suffering from a rare heart condition.

.........."

There will be those that can not reconcile the violent terrorist with the 'peacemaker'.

Edited by cgksheff

An extraordinary man who led an extraordinary life. Led military campaigns against the occupation of his homeland - then renounced violence, became good friends with his arch enemy Ian Paisley and even found favour with the queen as he led the process of talks with the British which led to the most unlikely of peace deals and the Good Friday Agreement which still holds good today.

Or a murderer who hadn't the balls to admit what he did and went down the peace route to save his own skin from jail.

I won't be shedding any tears. My thoughts will be with the families of the innocent civillians in Birmingham, Warrington, etc who McGuinness ordered to be blown up. He knew he couldn't win the battle against the army so he took the battle onto the streets of England. I've been to Northern Ireland a few times and it's a lovely country with the friendliest of people. Wish the BBC wasn't treating it like a member of the royal family had died.

I won't be shedding any tears. My thoughts will be with the families of the innocent civillians in Birmingham, Warrington, etc who McGuinness ordered to be blown up. He knew he couldn't win the battle against the army so he took the battle onto the streets of England. I've been to Northern Ireland a few times and it's a lovely country with the friendliest of people. Wish the BBC wasn't treating it like a member of the royal family had died.

Here, here!

---------- Post added 21-03-2017 at 08:01 ----------

Edited by lazarus

Guest sibon

It is depressing, but not surprising to find that SF has contributors who are more bigoted and sectarian than the Rev Ian Paisley.

Paisley recognised that McGuinness had become a force for good in Northern Irelabd. The peace in Northern Ireland is a remarkable achievement and we should be grateful to all of the architects of that peace.

McGuinness was a crucial part of that process.

But you can't just leave the murders of people behind saying oh well look at him now,there's nothing bigoted about that. People forget Mandela ordered train bombings that killed women and children but then again some people thing Morgan Freeman is him.

Martin McGuinness will be roasting in hell now. Goodbye.

November 1974, Birmingham. Bombs in two pubs killed 21 people who had no influence and probably not much interest in the Irish problems.

March 1993, Warrington. Bombs placed in 2 litter bins next to shops killed 2 children.

These actions will have been sanctioned by the IRA leaders.

Bigoted ?? Me ?? only against cowardly scum who kill innocent people.

Another dead terrorist. Excuse me for not observing nil nisi bonum but some simply are not worthy of it.

Err, the vast majority were in Northern Ireland........