Starting my own catering business.

Hi i have recently lost my job in a warehouse and have decided to try my hand at doing party and event catering. I have 6 years experience as a chef and a kitchen assistant and have been told im a good cook. Can anyone please point me in the right direction as to how to do this. Any and all information very welcome and much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sorry to hear about your job.

Your first hurdle is new business. You need to look at how you are going to advertise and then maybe get talking to event organisers.

Marketing your business with free samples/tasters to event companies is always a good shout (but you will really need to impress).

There are lots of local business support groups who offer free advice on getting started.

What about premises to prepare food in and your hygiene certificate from the council? What about insurance, a vehicle with suitable business insurance and also public liability insurance? Are you up to date with other regs on food labelling for allergies etc?

Do you mean cold buffet catering, warm buffets or coking in your clients house for events as a private chef?

Have you thought about contacting a pub that has a kitchen but doesn't currently serve food?

---------- Post added 12-01-2017 at 09:42 ----------

No reply davetherave1 ?

Your profile says you have been logged in after we posted our comments.

A gas grill, folding table & gazebo to pitch for outdoor events come spring time.

my advice is if you decide to do events be quick as food is always the first to sell out

especially if its hotfood and don't forget to get your paperwork.

What about premises to prepare food in and your hygiene certificate from the council? What about insurance, a vehicle with suitable business insurance and also public liability insurance? Are you up to date with other regs on food labelling for allergies etc?

Do you mean cold buffet catering, warm buffets or coking in your clients house for events as a private chef?

Have you thought about contacting a pub that has a kitchen but doesn't currently serve food?

---------- Post added 12-01-2017 at 09:42 ----------

No reply davetherave1 ?

Your profile says you have been logged in after we posted our comments.

Oh dear, and you started off sounding helpful :rolleyes:

You can use your own kitchen to produce food but you must register as a food business with your local authority. You will also need to have some sort of food safety management system in place, don't worry although it sounds scary you can use Safer Food Better Business which is a free pack from the food standards agency which you can read through and then fill in the gaps so it is relevant for your business, then you just need to fill in the diary every day and do a few extra checks depending on the food you are serving. Just go onto the FSA website and download it. I'd post the link but because I am a new user it won't let me :(

You should also hold a level 2 food hygiene certificate if you have already done one check the date as you should re do them every 2 years.

Hope this is helpful if you would like any more advise just give us a shout. I have been running food businesses for a few years and I have quite a good knowledge of current legislation.