Hows does it work out.

Ok here's my situation, i moved into a rented house and paid 1mths rent and 1mths bond. i'm now moving out so do i pay for the last mth or not??

EXAMPLE

Moved in 1st december given landlord 1mth rent and 1 mths bond

moving out 1st november..... so i pay for October as i payed for a mth in advance!!!

Hope this makes sense, i'm soooooo Confused.

:help::help::help::help::help::help:

If you pay in advance, you have already paid for this month in December, if that makes sense.

You should pay for the last months rent, the bond is given to your landlord on trust so that any repairs that may need to be done before your landlord can re-rent the property can be done.

However, an awful lot of landlords are less than honest regarding the bond and have no intention of pay a single penny back, so you need to decide whether or not you can afford to lose your bond or decide whether your landlord is a stand up guy or a thieving scumbag, because a dispute after the fact will be futile as dishonest landlords can also be accomplished liars when it comes to trying to recover your stolen bond.

You should pay for the last months rent, the bond is given to your landlord on trust so that any repairs that may need to be done before your landlord can re-rent the property can be done.

However, an awful lot of landlords are less than honest regarding the bond and have no intention of pay a single penny back, so you need to decide whether or not you can afford to lose your bond or decide whether your landlord is a stand up guy or a thieving scumbag, because a dispute after the fact will be futile as dishonest landlords can also be accomplished liars when it comes to trying to recover your stolen bond.

In which case never pay your last month. You won't be taken to court for one month and you can't be evicted without a court order, you will lose your bond but you haven't paid the last month, so it balances out :D

It all turns on what the Letting Agreement says- e.g. 'rent payable monthly [in advance][in arrears]'.

So please post the "rent" clause's wording in full.

But the landlord will not be in possession of the bond, assuming they have used DPS. The repayment ID needs to be submitted by both parties to forward the payment(s) accordingly.

But the landlord will not be in possession of the bond, assuming they have used DPS. The repayment ID needs to be submitted by both parties to forward the payment(s) accordingly.

Thanks for that, I'd never heard of DPS and I've rented loads of properties over the years, experience has given me a very negative view on the raw deal tenants get when renting privately.

A free to use service too, the next time I rent anywhere I'll insist on this service - thanks.

http://www.depositprotection.com/

If you pay in advance, you have already paid for this month in December, if that makes sense.

This is correct. You pay at the beginning of the month in advance of the month ahead. As for the bit about bonds well it is illegal for the landlord to keep possession the bond money. It has to be put in a deposit scheme and both parties cannot easily get it back without coming to a mutual aggrement. The landlord no has control of possesion of the bond money so reducing the risk of the tenant being a victim of a 'scum bag'.

However not paying the last months rent on the basis of the bond will cover it won't work either. The bond is for damage not arrears, there is a difference and if you was to take up this advice then you can be a potential 'scum bag' tenant instead of the landlord. I would take a tenant to court for the last months rent and damages with pleasure not so much for the money but to ruin the tenants credit rating so as to make it harder for that tenant to become another landlords problem.

The landlord doesn't have to take a bond either just a very good inventory. I know one landlord who takes two months rent in advance and no bond. He does a very good inventory and if the tenant on leaving doesn't pay for damages then they are taken to the small claims court. It is apparently a lot easier, faster and with the threat of a ccj the tenant usually co-operates.

Always beats me on SF that it is the business person that is the thief and Joe Bloggs is so innocent. There are good and bad people whether they are joe public or in business. And there is no shortage of bad tenants, they easily outnumber bad landlords.

Thanks for that, I'd never heard of DPS and I've rented loads of properties over the years, experience has given me a very negative view on the raw deal tenants get when renting privately.

A free to use service too, the next time I rent anywhere I'll insist on this service - thanks.

http://www.depositprotection.com/

DPS is I believe just one of three services. There is also an insurance policy the landlord can use.

...and like 'retired' says dont believe villans are restricted to landlords! :)

Your bond should be registered with one of the 2 government approved schemes. Contact the agent/landlord to find it which one it has registered with. You may then contact them direct to request a return of your bond. I have known many cases where bonds have not been registered when private landlords are concerned. If that is the case then just keep getting on to the landlord for the bond back. If all else fails seek free legal advise and that should scare them into paying up. Good Luck!

Your bond should be registered with one of the 2 government approved schemes.

Three, not two.