Can you advise us about where to buy a home in Sheffield

Grandma and Grandad are trying to buy a home in Sheffield within say 15 minutes drive of Millhouses where our daughter lives. Not bothered about catchment areas but would like a little space - Dore etc very urban unless you have unlimited funds - what do you think about Stannington or that way out any area considered though would just like a little help because we are not from the area.

Thanks for your help

Stannington is not very close to Millhouses so maybe considerNorton or Norton Lee's. Also keep in mind that plenty of area's might look inviting but in winter the hills can be a real pain and you might want to have at least a few shops that don't involve traveling a long distance.

If you give an idea of your price range that could help people advise you and if you want info on certain area's thisforum is usually very good at advice or info

Thanks Wallbuilder = we take your point about hills and bad weather and thanks for your tip about Norton or Norton LeesW - we will certainly take a look. We are thinking of a price range of upto £250,000.00 2/3 bedrooms but a bit of space around the house would be nice - most of the houses we have looked at are butt up to each other so that you can't even walk round them -a real pain when trying to get things into a back garden ! A house or bungalow is fine also. We don't mind doing a bit of work but would prefer not to go in for the whole refurbishment thing - we've done it twice already. Anyway thanks again for your help.

Grandma and Grandad

The area around Bents Green (S11) is very nice, with country walks on the doorstep and a good row of local shops. The High Storrs side of Ringinglow Road is generally cheaper than the Silverdale Side, but still a short drive to Millhouses. Norton and Greenhill are also worth a look as is Beauchief. Not so sure about Norton Lees. Sheffield 8 has a wide variety of housing and neighbourhoods, some are lovely and others not so much. When you narrow your search ask on the Forum about specific neighbourhoods.

The area around Bents Green (S11) is very nice, with country walks on the doorstep and a good row of local shops. The High Storrs side of Ringinglow Road is generally cheaper than the Silverdale Side, but still a short drive to Millhouses. Norton and Greenhill are also worth a look as is Beauchief. Not so sure about Norton Lees. Sheffield 8 has a wide variety of housing and neighbourhoods, some are lovely and others not so much. When you narrow your search ask on the Forum about specific neighbourhoods.

I totally agree with stressconsul. I know of a couple of people who have moved to Bents Green to be near to their children in Milhouses. You have everything you need including a regular bus service if you don't want to drive into the city.

Countryside is within walking distance even if you're not "super fit", there's a good library at Ecclesall Road South, easy access to good parks at Milhouses, Graves, Botanical Gardens and Weston Park Museum.

I'd suggest registering with several estate agents on Ecclesall Road to find you a property within your budget. Good luck.

Duffems

Grandma and Grandad are trying to buy a home in Sheffield within say 15 minutes drive of Millhouses where our daughter lives. Not bothered about catchment areas but would like a little space - Dore etc very urban unless you have unlimited funds - what do you think about Stannington or that way out any area considered though would just like a little help because we are not from the area.

Thanks for your help

dronfield is a good place to live my son lives there s18 area no yobs and car insurance is cheaper to because of lower crime rate

dronfield is a good place to live my son lives their s18 area no yobs and cheaper car insurance because of low crime rate

I'm at Norton Lees, right up the top end of Derbyshire lane, next to Graves park, on the whole, its ok, theres a small Co Op for the basics, a little newsagents, and an off licence and pharmacy near by (all within a 5 minute walk) plus a couple of hair salons and 3 pubs very close. However, if I want to do a bigger shop, its either a walk through the park to Morrisons, or down the hill onto Woodseats, which is a pain to walk back up. Well served by a bus every 10 minutes through the day though. I saw some nice houses on Warminster Road for sale a few weeks ago when I was looking, they looked pretty roomy, and are well within your stated price range.