Can you be clamped/fined for expired MOT?

No matter how much you think you are right you are still wrong.

The DVLA links put up and the process show abundantly clearly that there is an absolute requirement for the vehicle to be insured. I'm sorry if you find this tricky.

http://ask.co-opinsurance.co.uk/help/car_insurance/tax_without_cert

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/tax-insurance-and-warranties/2013-12/drivers-no-longer-need-to-show-insurance-certificate-to-get-road-tax/

https://www.directline.com/car-insurance/advice/motoring/renew-car-tax-online

In each case you will see that you dont have to take the insurance certtificate and in each case they check online instead to see if it's insured.

You are conflating "no certificated needed" and think that means "no check made". A check is made every single time, and of an MOT as well.

I'm certain I'm not going to get the apology - see if you hadn't demanded it from me I'd not go so far as to rub your nose in it. But if you want to have any dignity then please feel free to offer your apology for being wrong.

You are still wrong,there is no insurance check done at the point of taxation,therefore you can get an uninsured car taxed,not that there is any point in doing this unless you are going to insure the car.I just did it that way round to prove to myself that it could be done.I would also like to say that most sites,including the post office,still say an insurance check is done,even the assistant at the post office still thought the scan she did was checking insurance as well as tax.The government is to blame,they have made everything as clear as mud as usual,and produced too many grey areas.I will not ask for an apology.

Edited by ivan edake
missed word

Failing an MoT test doesnt necessarily mean its unroadworty though

Of course you are correct with that statement, but there is a minimum standard for driving a vehicle on the public highway. If you're vehicle doesn't meet that minimum standard you are committing an offence.

Just watching the police program on channel five, a PC said a car had triggered a ANPR camera 39 times because it did not have a MOT, no MOT is obviously not a priority for the police.

Triggering ANPR (the fixed kind) doesn't somehow magic a police car to the location...

Triggering ANPR (the fixed kind) doesn't somehow magic a police car to the location...

It should give them the reg number and the registered keeper and insureance details, thats if they look into it.

It seems they did not.

Yes, all they have to do is stop investigating rapes and murders and they'll probably have enough police to chase up every ANPR alter they get.

Yes, all they have to do is stop investigating rapes and murders and they'll probably have enough police to chase up every ANPR alter they get.

Well if they have committed an offence, surely any fine should cover the cost of the police investigation.

In my area they have clamp-downs and they catch hundreds.

This is why I take my car for it's MOT a couple of weeks early.

i

If it fails then I'm still legal with it being on the road until the current MOT expires, by which time I've fixed the issue.

Or at least that's the plan, I've only had 1 advisory in 4 years and that was because I'd left my nieces car seat in and he couldn't test the rear belt

No you are not legal,the last MOT is the one that counts.You will get a fixed penalty ticket.

Well if they have committed an offence, surely any fine should cover the cost of the police investigation.

In my area they have clamp-downs and they catch hundreds.

Why on earth would you think that the police get to keep the money from a fine? :roll:

Why on earth would you think that the police get to keep the money from a fine? :roll:

It does not matter who keeps the fine, if it helps in money raising. Who better to pay 'taxes' than wrong doers.

No you are not legal,the last MOT is the one that counts.You will get a fixed penalty ticket.

It's all a bit murky trying to work out the legalities; The government changed the guidance so time ago to agree with you, then later did a U turn.

The current guidance states;

Driving a vehicle that’s failed

You can take your vehicle away if your MOT certificate is still valid. (My highlighting)

If your MOT has run out you can take your vehicle to:

have the failed defects fixed

a pre-arranged MOT test appointment

In both cases, your vehicle still needs to meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness at all times or you can be fined.

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test

See also; https://www.motoringresearch.com/car-news/can-you-drive-your-car-after-an-mot-fail-if-the-old-test-hasnt-expired

Edited by peak4

It does not matter who keeps the fine, if it helps in money raising. Who better to pay 'taxes' than wrong doers.

Your argument makes no sense. The police will not get extra funding by catching someone without an MOT. So my point stands. They would have to pull officers off investigating crimes with actual victims, to chase down a car with no MOT.

They have a limited budget and limited resource, would you prefer that they ran around chasing cars without MOTs or that they investigated rapes, assaults and burglaries?