Car tax, How to find out when due?

Guest sibon

I just pay mine monthly by DD. No need to ever worry about taxing my car again.

I just pay mine monthly by DD. No need to ever worry about taxing my car again.

Doesn't that cost an extra 10%?

Someone would make a killing if the marketed a sticker that went on the left side of the windscreen, then people would have a reminder ;)

They'd probably get prosecuted for obscuring the windscreen! :roll:

Someone would make a killing if the marketed a sticker that went on the left side of the windscreen, then people would have a reminder ;)

Some of us just left the last tax disc we bought on there...

It does, but it's hardly a bank breaking sum. It adds about £1.80 a month onto it or something. Plus it means I just leave it, and it comes out every month without having to think about it.

Until you change car and realise that you're still paying for the old one, 6 months later.

---------- Post added 29-03-2017 at 12:47 ----------

A friend of mine bought a car to fix, he had it on his drive for a year, it wasnt SORN just in between owners.

No back dated tax to pay, because they cannot prove who owned it.

Whoever the registered keeper was was responsible for it. :roll:

Someone did, a 14 year old school boy. Here is the bit from the article.

"Harvey started his business, Tax Disc Reminder, after the Government announced that drivers would no longer need to display the paper reminders in their windscreens.

Having noticed that hundreds of drivers were being clamped for having an untaxed vehicle, he made thousands of pounds by selling replacement tax reminder discs for £4".

Full article

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/15/tycoon-14-makes-2-million-from-first-property-deal-after-startin/

Until you change car and realise that you're still paying for the old one, 6 months later.

That wouldn't happen. As soon as a change of ownership was registered the tax would be cancelled by the DVLA as its not transferable between owners.

Guest sibon

No chance of that happening. DD cancellation is automatic.

I'm happy to pay the surcharge for the convenience that it buys.

That wouldn't happen. As soon as a change of ownership was registered the tax would be cancelled by the DVLA as its not transferable between owners.

I cancelled my DD, I got a cheque in the post

Did the same thing out here in australia getting rid of the rego sticker on the windscreen its just money making by the government so you forget to pay the rego and insurance and then the cops can pull you over and give you a big fine and collect some points for your licence bring back the sticker

It's "just money making" because "adulting is so hard"...