Car Dealerships

This is going back a few years, and it may have been covered on a previous thread, but can you remember the car dealerships in Sheffield? Here is my list.

Ford had three/four: Autoways at the end of Shoreham Street, next to Kennings; Brook Shaw, on the corner of Union Street/ Norfolk Street and Charles Street (this was before they moved to Gibralter Street) and T.C. Harrison on London Road. Sheaf Motors on Sheaf Street also sold Fords.

Austin was sold by Freeman Oaks, at the top of Fitwilliam Street

Morris/ Riley /Wolsely was represented by the Kenning Group in that huge building at Shoreham Street and Paternoster Row. (later, they sold the full range of BMC cars and British Leyland Products)

Vauxhall (General Motors) were sold by Bentley Brother, in the Wicker and On Savile Street.

Jaguar, Standard and Triumph were sold by Hadfield's at the far end of Brown Street (before they moved to Sharrow Vale)

Rover were sold by Crabtree and Nichols up on Pinston Street, opposite the Peace Gardens and behind on Cross burgess Street(?)

Rootes Products (Hillman/Humber) was sold by Pickfords on Ecclesall Road

Singer was sold by a dealership on Ellen's Street (just off the bottom of the Moor) I think their name was Batty but I'm not sure. Later Singer was taken over by Rootes Group.

Gilders sold Volkswagen in Cambridge Street - before they moved the business to Banner Cross.

I can't remember who sold Jowett Cars or Lanchester.

Have I left any body out ?

Vauxall Turrets - Ecclesall Road

Gilders also sold jowett cars.

they were at cambridge street, john street then banner cross.

Before the war there was a place on Sharrow Vale Road that had been a large commercial laundry. When I was a lad (1936-37) they sold Chryslers.

heeley bridge garage broadfield road sold bmc , bentleys shoreham street reliant .

I remember "Brocklehursts" on the roundabout at Meadowhead across from the Bernie.

Can't remember what cars they sold though.

I remember "Brocklehursts" on the roundabout at Meadowhead across from the Bernie.

Can't remember what cars they sold though.

I think they were a Ford dealer - at least they were at their branch in Chesterfield.

I am sure Dad bought his first new car from there - it was a Ford Consul - as my grandmother lived in Chesterfield I am not sure whether it woudl have been the Meadowhead branch or the one at Whittington Moor

I thought Brocklehurst's sold Rootes and then Chrylser products. I remember going to their showroom on Whittington Moor in 72/73 to look at a Simca that was being imported by Chrylser. When did they go out of business?

I thought Brocklehurst's sold Rootes and then Chrylser products. I remember going to their showroom on Whittington Moor in 72/73 to look at a Simca that was being imported by Chrylser. When did they go out of business?

It starting to come back to me...the guy who owned it was Ernest Brocklehurst - during the late 50's and early 60's (which is when Dad bought his car) he had a couple of places in Chestefield and the one at Meadowhead - I think where the petrol station is now. Not sure when that closed down but sometime in the late 60's, early 70's I think. Everything moved to Chesterfield and I think cus of competition from TC Harrison and Brook Shaw they changed dealerships.

By the early 80's they had moved a couple of times and had just one spot in Whittington Moor - dont know the precise date when they finally closed.

Bentleys had a dealership at Crosspool and Kennings had a dealership at Broomhill, on the road next to the Broomhill Tavern. Pearl Motors on East Bank Road was also an official Rootes dealership - there was still a 'Singer' sign there well into the nineties. If you look up at the right place, near the junction of John St and Bramall Lane you can still see the Gilders VW sign on the end of the building they used. Don't know if anyone has mentioned it but there was a dealership roughly where Staples is at the bottom of the Moor ; in the sixties one half of it was Simca the other was Rolls Royce. Does anyone remember where the Wartburg and Moskvich dealers were in the sixties. My dad always used to consider them when buying new cars (he was a member of the communist party!) then go and buy a Vauxhall anyway.

This is going back a few years, and it may have been covered on a previous thread, but can you remember the car dealerships in Sheffield? Here is my list.

Ford had three/four: Autoways at the end of Shoreham Street, next to Kennings; Brook Shaw, on the corner of Union Street/ Norfolk Street and Charles Street (this was before they moved to Gibralter Street) and T.C. Harrison on London Road. Sheaf Motors on Sheaf Street also sold Fords.

Austin was sold by Freeman Oaks, at the top of Fitwilliam Street

Morris/ Riley /Wolsely was represented by the Kenning Group in that huge building at Shoreham Street and Paternoster Row. (later, they sold the full range of BMC cars and British Leyland Products)

Vauxhall (General Motors) were sold by Bentley Brother, in the Wicker and On Savile Street.

Jaguar, Standard and Triumph were sold by Hadfield's at the far end of Brown Street (before they moved to Sharrow Vale)

Rover were sold by Crabtree and Nichols up on Pinston Street, opposite the Peace Gardens and behind on Cross burgess Street(?)

Rootes Products (Hillman/Humber) was sold by Pickfords on Ecclesall Road

Singer was sold by a dealership on Ellen's Street (just off the bottom of the Moor) I think their name was Batty but I'm not sure. Later Singer was taken over by Rootes Group.

Gilders sold Volkswagen in Cambridge Street - before they moved the business to Banner Cross.

I can't remember who sold Jowett Cars or Lanchester.

Have I left any body out ?

Turners garage on Herries road (firvale) sold triumphs very small dealership though

What about Holmes and Younie the Renault dealer on Suffolk Rd?