Sign in to follow this  

Simple Hazard for children

Just thought I would post this as it has shook us up and supprised a few members of the family.

My daughter who is just over 2 has just returned from the Childrens hospital after a usual game of swinging her round ended in tears and pulled her elbow out.

Are people aware of how easy it is to pull out a childs arm or elbow through simple acts like this? So many parents do it without realising. I am guilty not only for my daughter but my son also. My son was lucky and has never been to hospital because of it.

It is little things like this that are taken for granted until something like this happens.

All is well now, the Dr popped it back in with a few painful twists and turns, but a bit of care and thought could have avoided it.

Moon Maiden

It happened to my nephew a few months ago when his mum was playing with him. Swinging people by their limbs is not exactly a great idea though, I make sure I have hold of something a bit less likely to pull off if I'm mucking about with any of the younger members of our family now :)

Originally posted by fnkysknky

It happened to my nephew a few months ago when his mum was playing with him. Swinging people by their limbs is not exactly a great idea though, I make sure I have hold of something a bit less likely to pull off if I'm mucking about with any of the younger members of our family now :)

I'm intrigued. What's left after you discount limbs? I hope you don't mean the head!:o

PS MM, sorry to hear about your daughter's traumatic experience.

Originally posted by fnkysknky

I hold my son under the arms for swinging and throwing him.

It really is stupid, I mean if people stopped and thought about just what they were doing I don't think they would do it.

Common sense 'should' dictate that small little arms may have some difficulty in holding up the weight of the body when swung at speed. :loopy:

To daughter : Painful lesson, sorry sweetheart! :(

Moon Maiden

Originally posted by max

I'm intrigued. What's left after you discount limbs? I hope you don't mean the head!:o

PS MM, sorry to hear about your daughter's traumatic experience.

The bit the limbs are attatched to :)

Originally posted by Phanerothyme

I hold my son under the arms for swinging and throwing him.

Yeah me too (well nephew, not son)

Originally posted by Moon Maiden

It really is stupid, I mean if people stopped and thought about just what they were doing I don't think they would do it.

Common sense 'should' dictate that small little arms may have some difficulty in holding up the weight of the body when swung at speed. :loopy:

To daughter : Painful lesson, sorry sweetheart! :(

Moon Maiden

still , no permanent damage done, and little ones are so very elastic and resilient.

but putting one's child in pain makes one feel like the lowest of the low

at least you didn't let go at the worst moment and fling the child into the patio doors or some such horror.