When does the week start, Monday or Sunday?

The week starts on a......  

33 members have voted

1. 1. The week starts on a......

• Monday
    • Sunday

Vote NOW! I think that the start of the week is Monday, because:

- It's the start of the (traditional) working week.

- Sunday is part of the weekEND, keyword: END

- From a biblical point of view (not one that I'm particularly fond of I hasten to add), Sunday was the day of rest, i.e. AFTER 'God created' the Earth.

Yet, many people, calendars, diaries, etc, regard Sunday as the start of the week. I'm not sure what the arguments for this are. Any of you that believe the week starts on Sunday could add some arguments to this.

PS. Trivial, I know, but who cares?

I'm usually so busy that my week never ends lol! Monday seems more appropriate though :)

Originally posted by t020

Yet, many people, calendars, diaries, etc, regard Sunday as the start of the week. I'm not sure what the arguments for this are. Any of you that believe the week starts on Sunday could add some arguments to this.

The interesting thing is, calendars, diaries etc.. from Europe often start the week on a Sunday, but North American calendars, diaries start the week on a Monday.

To add even more confusion to the matter.

It's a Monday.

And for me, it finishes early on Thursday afternoons :D!...

Originally posted by t020

- From a biblical point of view (not one that I'm particularly fond of I hasten to add), Sunday was the day of rest, i.e. AFTER 'God created' the Earth.

From a biblical point of view that is correct, however the sabbath day was a saturday many moons ago. However I'm not one to dwell in the past, so I agree that Monday is the start of the week.

From a Unix perspective Sunday doesn't exist it having the value 0 in the cron. Monday's 1 so I'll go along with that.

You forget that 0 is still a value. If it didn't exist it would have to be null.

Originally posted by Sidla

You forget that 0 is still a value. If it didn't exist it would have to be null.

Not strictly true. It's a virtual value and didn't exist until sometime in the early centuries after the death of Christ when it was invented by an Indian. I stand to be corrected on this but 0 is not a value but a concept or rather a lack of value.

Also, in earlier versions of Cobol , null and zero were the same and thus it proved difficult to search for numerical fields which contained 0. To detect this it was necessary for fields which were liekly to hold 0 to be stored as character strings.

Originally posted by max

From a Unix perspective Sunday doesn't exist it having the value 0 in the cron. Monday's 1 so I'll go along with that.

What has Unix (which, itself, didn’t exist until 1969) to do with the first day of the week? Up until sometime during the late last century, Sunday was the first day of the week, being as the Jews regarded Saturday as the seventh day. From a relatively ‘modern’ point of view, Sunday has been the ‘day of rest’, so if we are talking about a ‘working week’, then Monday would be considered the first day. I agree with Sidla.

Of course zero (0) has a value, being the first of the set of Whole Numbers, or, the central digit of the set of Integers.

Originally posted by Carlwarker

I just used Db's 'Google Fight' - and the winner was Monday.:thumbsup:

'Google Fight' is becoming a very useful tool. No longer will debates rage on, witout any result.

Marriages will be saved, as heated arguments will end in.. 'Okay, let's let Google Fight about it.. Sorted!'.