Anyone protesting in London?

Does anyone here have any plans on going down to London to make their views known to George W. Bush? I know Sheffield has an active anti-war group but is anyone else going down? Is it really worthwile, do you think Bush would actually care even if they are allowed near him? I'm interested in hearing your views.

He's not arriving 'till next week. Plenty of time to burn those US flags on The Mall!

Originally posted by Geoff

Does anyone here have any plans on going down to London to make their views known to George W. Bush? I know Sheffield has an active anti-war group but is anyone else going down? Is it really worthwile, do you think Bush would actually care even if they are allowed near him? I'm interested in hearing your views.

It's not so much a question of whether a demonstration will have much impact - it's more about people standing up and being counted for what they believe in.

What many anti-bush protestors believe is that GWB instigated an unecessary war in the face of a complete capitulation by Iraq previous to the invasion.

Others are protesting because they believe the imprisonment of not-POWs, not-criminals, and not-terrorists (categorised by the US neologism 'unlawful combatants') without trial, representation or any form of habeas corpus is an affront to the world of 'peace and justice' that the USA claims to promote and export.

Others, like me, simply believe that GWB and Blair are outright liars that started a war for completely different reasons than the ones that they gave, and even now are trying to post-rationalise their actions with completely different reasons for invasion.

Not only should they be ejected from office, but they should both have to face close scrutiny on their parts in bringing about this war, preferably under oath.

Of course a protest will not bring any of these issues to a resolution, but it will hopefully keep the issue high on the poltical and public agenda.

The worst thing that could happen is this story gradually sinks beyond trace as the govt would like it to do as quickly as possible.

Guest BensoN

im too lazy to do anything about anything :(

so im just going to sit back and watch our gr8 country turn into another crappy America, along with the rest of you, as it dosent really matter what we think and how much time we spend protesting about things, governments have this annoying tendency to act first and appologise afterwards.

tiz a sad world were living in.

Originally posted by BensoN

im too lazy to do anything about anything :(

Are you sure you're not my twin brother, who I know nothing about?

That is exactly what I was about to say.

I find it ironic that some months ago, Bush told Prince Charles that a visit by him to the U.S. would be unwelcome - apparently due to his adverse attitude to the invasion of Iraq.

Interesting that Blair is now planning to welcome Bush to Britain with open arms.

Regarding the Bush visit - does anyone know if there is any kind of protest planned in Sheffield? It would be nice if there was a series of protests all around Britain.

Originally posted by BensoN

im too lazy to do anything about anything

no probs, not everyone is, you sit back and watch it on the telly :)

so im just going to sit back and watch our gr8 country turn into another crappy America, along with the rest of you, as it dosent really matter what we think and how much time we spend protesting about things, governments have this annoying tendency to act first and appologise afterwards.

That is what they want you to think. You know why the police were so nice on March 15th demo? Because there was sweet FA they could do if over a million people decided to do something they didn't like.

Trust me on this, the effect may not be direct, but opinions are influenced, and ALL politicians, apart from the retiring or dead (dead and still lying!), are looking at getting reelected or elected, and will say anything you like if you promise them your vote (of course you still don't have to give it to them!)

Originally posted by Carlwarker

Regarding the Bush visit - does anyone know if there is any kind of protest planned in Sheffield? It would be nice if there was a series of protests all around Britain.

The Stop the War Coalition has slots of information on national and local events. There is one in Sheffield on Saturday more info here.

Plus lots of information on local groups within Sheffield, such as

Nether Edge against (the) War

See you there. May bring my drum if anyone else wants to turn up and bang on about the war!

why bother going anyway ..lets face it its not gonna change anything an just think for all the police there having to police the jesus sandle brigade will be money wasted when it could be better spent fighting crime rather than wasting it on a bunch of losers

if 100 thousand turn up theyl be saying where speaking for the country etc etc funny thing i always thought the populatin was 60 million or somthing give or take a few hundred thousand a seekers and illegals

100 thousand ..out of 60 million very very impressive

Originally posted by Carlwarker

Yes CarlWalker -

12 at Barkers Pool (City Hall - Ibeleive) and 12.30 at Peace Gardens. I also believe theirs something going on in morning at Town Hall - for kids and adults!

Anyone know more details?????

Originally posted by hiyabeing

Yes CarlWalker -

12 at Barkers Pool (City Hall - Ibeleive) and 12.30 at Peace Gardens. I also believe theirs something going on in morning at Town Hall - for kids and adults!

Anyone know more details?????

Cheers H. Anyone planning on going?

Originally posted by panda79

why bother going anyway ..lets face it its not gonna change anything an just think for all the police there having to police the jesus sandle brigade will be money wasted when it could be better spent fighting crime rather than wasting it on a bunch of losers

if 100 thousand turn up theyl be saying where speaking for the country etc etc funny thing i always thought the populatin was 60 million or somthing give or take a few hundred thousand a seekers and illegals

100 thousand ..out of 60 million very very impressive

100,000 people in one city is impressive. Protesters are just the visable tip of the iceberg and polititions know this. If hundreds of thousands of people get off their a*ses to protest against your policies then you know you have a serious problem.

Strange that you dismiss these people as losers. At least they have an opinion and the get up and go to try and actually influence and change things. The real losers are the sheep who simply follow where they are lead because they are too lazy or ignorant to do anything other.

I too once had a sandal phobia but can now wear them with pride. They are very comfortable you know. ;)