Sign in to follow this  

Ghost Ships

I'd like to know what peoples opinions are on the US ships that were towed across the atlantic for dismantling in Hartlepool. After a environmental backlash the decision was made to allow the ships to dock only but they are due to be returned to the US.

I think that any financial benefit would be grossly outweighed by the environmental impact...but then it's easy for me to say that when I'm miles away in Sheffield.

I have no idea what the situation is further oop North...

Just another example of the poodle bending over for it's master and saying it doesn't mind because it got thrown a bone.

Originally posted by Lickszz

I'd like to know what peoples opinions are on the US ships that were towed across the atlantic for dismantling in Hartlepool. After a environmental backlash the decision was made to allow the ships to dock only but they are due to be returned to the US.

I bet you any money that they don't return.

Peter Mandleson, the MP for that area was quoted as saying it was better they come here rather than be driven onto the beaches of Bangladesh or some other third world country to be broken up.

What gets me is why there were allowed to travel at all. The US is much larger than the UK, surely there are companies there which can handle this job?

It's much more than just a distmantling job though. One of the ships has a cargo of asbestos, that is scheduled to be buried in a landfill site in that area.

It's bloody ridiculous - the ships come from the US so they should be the ones breaking them and disposing of the asbestos.

Some interesting points. Thanks.

After weighing up all the options I think the benefits outweight any negative impact. Hartlepool is a very run down place and this is a massive contract that will give a couple of hundred people jobs for at least a couple of years. Those people badly need those jobs. My advice would have been - Get stuck in people, by the kids some new shoes etc.

Now of course that doesn't look like happening. They have been breaking up ships in Hartleppool for years and this is one of the main reasons why they won the contract for this job because of their invaluable experience and excellent safety record.

The work would have brought life to a dead place. 'Can`t,' 'won`t,' 'don`t,' 'couldn`t,' and 'wouldn`t,' should be substituted by 'will' and the area should get the benefit. Those who would query either cost, or the risk when it happens to be hypothetical so far, should be reminded of the need.

Mandleson is up to his neck in this and I was looking and listening to his speech in the commons. Unfortunately it seems to have been a waste of time.

Some interesting points. Thanks.

After weighing up all the options I think the benefits outweight any negative impact. Hartlepool is a very run down place

Have you ever been? There is plenty of money in the marina and all the posh apartments that surround it.

Originally posted by alchresearch

Have you ever been? There is plenty of money in the marina and all the posh apartments that surround it.

Yes, I have been quite a few times and parts of it are a dump for want of better words. Yes, the Marina is another source of work which some have used in an arguement against this ship contract. Pure speculation of course.

It was suggested that rather than bring the ships here we could send the equipment and people (skills/knowhow) over there. This would have eliminated the risk of sending these rust buckets across the Atlantic and mean the toxic waste would be buried in it's country of origin.

Originally posted by Zamo

It was suggested that rather than bring the ships here we could send the equipment and people (skills/knowhow) over there. This would have eliminated the risk of sending these rust buckets across the Atlantic and mean the toxic waste would be buried in it's country of origin.

Suggested by who?

Suggested by who?

Don't remember, just remember reading it. It was probably one of the environmental groups prtesting about it. Sounds a reasonable solution though... unless you're an American trying to dump your sh*t in someone elses backyard!

Originally posted by Zamo

Don't remember, just remember reading it. It was probably one of the environmental groups prtesting about it. Sounds a reasonable solution though... unless you're an American trying to dump your sh*t in someone elses backyard!

I figured it might have been someone like that who would have suggested it. For me that defeats the object. The idea is to bring badly needed jobs to that region. That is work for a couple of hundred people for at least a couple of years. I don't think it's fair to expect them to travel to America for work.