Tin pan alley Fitswilliam street

Iv'e been told by a friend that there was a Pub/Club called "Tin pan alley" on Fitswilliam street not far from the old "Raven" - "Hornblower". I don't remember it? Does anybody else?

Yes.

It wasn't a pub really. More a standard shop unit which was used for live music. It had a good feeling and I once saw a latin jazz band there.

It was only there for a few (3 or 4) years before the west one development.

Looking at Google Earth today, bar Revolution is there now.

Tin Pan Alley Fitswilliam Street

The Tin Pan Alley music bar was wedged atween O’Hagans bakery and Lounge pub, and Shepherds Opticians at the top left of Fitzwilliam (sp) Street, going upwards. O’Hagans pub was previously called Hornblower, but the pub was at its best when it was the Raven Hotel (Whitbread). Apart from myself, other famous people who frequented the Raven in the 60s-70s were – Anna Ford (newscaster), when she was a spewdent at Sheffield University, and possibly Jeremy Paxman. I once saw Allan Holdsworth (Bradford’s finest) suppin’ a pint in theere one afternoon. He must have been performing in Sheffield that evening. Just to mention afore I forget, the Hornblower did a lovely pint of Murphy’s, which makes it unlikely Guinness was served there.

The Tin Pan Alley was at one time Bar 8. The premises were the former premises of Ironmongers Neville Watts. I worked at Neville Watts in the early 70s for one year an one week, a record for me at the time. LOL. I resigned my post theere to start working at Globe and Simpson car spares on West Street. This clever, well thought-out idea thickened my pat packet by between 50p - £1 per WEEK. LOL. At Globe’s oo’ertime was available but not at Neville Watts.

I went in Bar 8 / Tin Pan Alley a fistful of times. I recall seeing Rockett 88 performing theere. I was granted my request that evening when they did a brilliant rendition of…Walking the dog. I already knew Stuart Arfield (lead guitar), and Prof. on drums. Rockett 88 was an excellent blues band. Rockett 88 once had a brilliant harmonica player called Alan (I’m not sure whether he was a full – member of the band, or a guest performer), a North-Easterner from the North-East.

I first came across Alan in the mid-90s at the Alpha hotel on Montgomery Rooad. At the Alpha on Friday evenings, an often drunk Alan played his harmonica, sometimes a mouth organ. There were also some others there playing acoustic guitars. Steve, Richard and his bird, Jane (singing) and some others who were Irish (like Steve) played. Every person enjoying a good time. An atmosphere similar for years at The Dog & Partridge (Tetley) in town. I supped Stones at the Alpha. If ever I was short I could get drinks on tick then pay back the following week. That left me short again. LOL. The bloke running the Alpha was a Asian, possibly Pakistani background, a good friendly and kind man, called Max? I also remember the old thin man who worked there as night porter.

--

Another harmonica / vocalist with Rockett 88 at a later date was a fellow called Pete. He used to frequent the Psalter Tavern (Vaux) at one time. I don’t think he stayed long with Rockett 88 though.

--

There you have it 16niffrig, confirmation of TPAs existence. Plus anecdotes. Such a pity that that West One monstrosity was built. Ugh!

The above info is from mid-90s onwards.