Main power supply cable query

We are in the process of having our raised garden that surrounds the house removed. Initially we considered moving to a more family friendly house but due to the ridiculous costs of moving we've opted to plan B.

Problem, today the digger man found the main supply cable for the outside Electric box. We hoped by tracing it through the garden we might have enough slack to bury it deeper. Sadly the cable is around 2m too short.

My question is, will our supplier be able to splice in extra cable so we can continue or will they insist on running a new longer cable all the way to the meter, which typically passes straight through the outside patio area.

I'd just like to know what options I have.

Anybody??

It is possible to splice cables, but you need to contact your DNO as soon as possible. The cable belongs to them and you should keep clear of it. Is it still safely buried? The last thing you should be doing is trying to move it yourself, or it might be the last thing you ever do.

It is possible to splice cables, but you need to contact your DNO as soon as possible. The cable belongs to them and you should keep clear of it. Is it still safely buried? The last thing you should be doing is trying to move it yourself, or it might be the last thing you ever do.

No, not really.

The removal of the raised garden right back to the conifer hedge in front of the boundary wall has left a steepish embankment, 8-900mm high. The supply cable passes through the now exposed embankment and drops to the new garden level. The first metre or so is exposed, thereafter it's sheathed in plastic pipe/conduit. Currently it's sitting around 4" in the ground. I was going to ask the digger man to dig a deeper trench at the side of it, hoping that my supplier can come, assess and hopefully just charge me for the splicing in of extra cable without the need to run it all the way to the meter box, however, splicing would mean 2 seperate breaks in the main supply, didn't know if that was allowed or not - hence my original post.

BTW, am I correct in thinking that cable actually carries 415v and not 240v??

No, not really.

The removal of the raised garden right back to the conifer hedge in front of the boundary wall has left a steepish embankment, 8-900mm high. The supply cable passes through the now exposed embankment and drops to the new garden level. The first metre or so is exposed, thereafter it's sheathed in plastic pipe/conduit. Currently it's sitting around 4" in the ground. I was going to ask the digger man to dig a deeper trench at the side of it, hoping that my supplier can come, assess and hopefully just charge me for the splicing in of extra cable without the need to run it all the way to the meter box, however, splicing would mean 2 seperate breaks in the main supply, didn't know if that was allowed or not - hence my original post.

BTW, am I correct in thinking that cable actually carries 415v and not 240v??

If it's just supplying your house, then 240V.

Stop digging near it.

Call Northern Powergrid 0800 011 3332 if you are in South Yorkshire, not your supplier, it's nothing to do with them. They are the only people who can advise what your options are.

It would cost you a bit, something like that would need to be done live.

It would cost you a bit, something like that would need to be done live.

When I wanted mine moving to make a drive company wanted around a grand and that was a few years ago