Sign in to follow this  

Car damage

A car reversed into my car yesterdayd and damaged the front spoiler, The other driver and I exchange names and addresses, he phone me later to say have it repaired and send him the bill as he doesn't want to claim from the insurance company.

However, I do not know this man and if I have it repaired will he then refuse to pay? also, if I do not report it immediately my claim may not be accepted.

Originally posted by halevan

A car reversed into my car yesterdayd and damaged the front spoiler, The other driver and I exchange names and addresses, he phone me later to say have it repaired and send him the bill as he doesn't want to claim from the insurance company.

However, I do not know this man and if I have it repaired will he then refuse to pay? also, if I do not report it immediately my claim may not be accepted.

Let your insurance company deal with it, phone them, leave it with them.

That is what you pay your insurance for. They will pursue him for costs.

Good advice there phan. Pass everything to your insurers and let the other person know.

However......from the other point of view, if there isn't a lot of damage, then maybe the guy doesnt want his no claims affected. He will need to be aware of the price of the repair - show him the estimate and get money up front. If he won't offer money up front for this, then it'll have to go to your insurers.

Now for me to put my business woman's hat on......get a high quote and a low quote, show him the higher one, get the other company to do the work, and pocket the difference.....for your time and trouble, etc.

LEGAL ADVICE FOLLOWS>>> but this is just my opinion and reliance on this should not be construed as forming a legal opinion...!

Don't get your insurers involved, but move quickly - get a quote and tell him you want the cash today. The insurers will get arsey if you don't report it immediately, so find out if he's sharking you now.

Originally posted by Classic Rock

However......from the other point of view, if there isn't a lot of damage, then maybe the guy doesnt want his no claims affected. He will need to be aware of the price of the repair - show him the estimate and get money up front. If he won't offer money up front for this, then it'll have to go to your insurers.

Now for me to put my business woman's hat on......get a high quote and a low quote, show him the higher one, get the other company to do the work, and pocket the difference.....for your time and trouble, etc.

The other guy doesn't have to go through his insurance if he doesn't want to.

If you go through your insurance co, they will chase him personally for the money, and arrange a nice expensive repair bill to present to him, and you can forget about the whole thing.

If he doesn't pay, your car is still repaired.

If you don't contact your insurance company then you will have to chase him for money, and if that carries on (he keeps prevaricating) then you won't be able to go back to your insurance company, as you must claim as soon as you can. If he prevaricates with your insurance company they will take him to court for the money.

Helps to have a protected NCB at this point.

Let the insurance company take the strain, whilst you sit back, relax and get your car fixed.

Either way, he pays up for your repair, but if you DIY, it will be your problem, rather than your insurance company's problem. I know which I'd rather..

Tell your insurance company even if he pays for it

If they find out later they may not pay out for any other claims

Originally posted by Jack Yerbody

LEGAL ADVICE FOLLOWS>>> but this is just my opinion and reliance on this should not be construed as forming a legal opinion...!

Don't get your insurers involved, but move quickly - get a quote and tell him you want the cash today. The insurers will get arsey if you don't report it immediately, so find out if he's sharking you now.

I agree.

Your insurers will also probably class it as a claim even if it wasn't your fault and the other driver/drivers insurers foot the bill, which will effect your "no claims".

Never get your insurers involved if it isn't really necessary.

If the man wishes to pay for the damage, and seems genuine enough let him. I presume you have his address details and phone number.

Get a high and a low quote as people have suggested. Get the money upfront by showing him the high quote and pocket the difference.

Skatie

Like people have said above - get a quote and then ask the guy to pay up front - if he starts dicking you around then go to the insurance co. It's always better to sort it out without the insurance co. if possible as claims just put premiums up.