Sign in to follow this  

Do you turn everything off at night?

Visited a house last year where the front room had been damaged by fire, the furniture was smoke damaged.

Apparantly the cause of the fire was leaving the TV on standby all night causing it to arc or summat, maybe an electrical expert can explain.

We never leave ours on standby :o

Originally posted by Sidla

I don't agree. Say you left your TV on standby 24/7. If it's consuming 4.5 watts then this is 0.0045kW. This means it would it would take roughly 222 hours to consume 1kW. There are 8760 hours in a year, so during 1 year roughly 40kW would be consumed by your TV. If we're using 5p per unit then this would mean it would cost £2 per year to run a TV on standby. (Just over half a penny per day)

Regardless of what it costs, multiply it by x million households and you have a hell of a waste of electricity.

Originally posted by Sidla

I don't agree. Say you left your TV on standby 24/7. If it's consuming 4.5 watts then this is 0.0045kW. This means it would it would take roughly 222 hours to consume 1kW. There are 8760 hours in a year, so during 1 year roughly 40kW would be consumed by your TV. If we're using 5p per unit then this would mean it would cost £2 per year to run a TV on standby. (Just over half a penny per day)

Read it again Sidla. ROBERT said "appliances on standby" - not just televisions.

Nomme

Originally posted by John

Do you turn everything off at night, including unplugging it from the socket?

Do you leave things on Standby?

What do you leave on?

Are you worried about the fire hazzard it may cause?

For example, do you leave your mobile on charge overnight?

Of course I turn off everything at night, and sometimes I switch off the sockets too (e.g. with my PC). A TV on standby uses nearly as much power as when left on, and there's no point in wasting the money and the earth's resources when a quick press of the 'off' button does the trick.

Originally posted by nomme

Read it again Sidla. ROBERT said "appliances on standby" - not just televisions.

Nomme

All the same, that's still how much it costs to leave your TV on standby.

Originally posted by t020

A TV on standby uses nearly as much power as when left on,

Absolute rubbish, did you not see my previous post?

Whether they do or don't use more power, South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service was recommending people to never leave TV's on standy as they are a fire risk. So either way - turn them off ;)

Fire risk schmire risk.

Yes, Sometimes leave the tv on standby but other than that everything is off.

Turn them all off! Unplug the lot! Grr there may come a day when you wish you had.

There is a small plug in device available which measures the power consumtion of appliances, if I can remember where I got I will post it. Was horrified what some things use even when idle i.e. computer 30 watts!