Excel query - formula for setting a maximum value

Home > General > Computer & Tech Chat

Reply To Topic

12-04-2017, 20:59   #21
altus

Total Posts: 4,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Event View Post
As for adding 12:00 to 13:00 and getting the answer 01:00 - I guess whether or not that is useful depends on whether you want the answer 25 hours or 1am!
You have to remember that both programs don't have different data types for dates and times - they use a single date/time type. It's a number with days being represented as the whole number part and times as the fraction. Displaying 24 or more hours as hours rather than day plus time is a formatting issue - you just have to choose an appropriate cell formatting option.

---------- Post added 12-04-2017 at 21:02 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansheff View Post
Is it not something like equals or less than 15 that goes in the formula? I once did something similar years ago but cannot remember off hand apart from what I put above.
That's what Katie put in post #3. MIN() is just an easier way of doing it that also makes it clear what you are intending to do.
_______
Help your doctor prescribe the right drugs - sign up to alltrials.net
12-04-2017, 23:43   #22
Katie Event

Total Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by altus View Post
You have to remember that both programs don't have different data types for dates and times - they use a single date/time type. It's a number with days being represented as the whole number part and times as the fraction....
I haven't forgotten since post 7
Reply To Topic