The Sheffield gay scene part 2

And indeed Tia I am looking forward to seeing LOCAL TALENt at next years Sheffield Pride, starting with your good self ;-) :love::love::love:

I thought Fuel had re opened but elsewhere I used to love that club some of the drag queens in there where better looking than most real women these days lol

It is true, that whatever peoples opinions on Dempseys it has been going strong, as Sheffield's longest lived Gay venue, (more like 20 years, I thought it was?) while others (like Affinity and Gossips(!)(?)) have come along and then suddenly vanished without warning. At the end of the day it is the enjoyment and the people you meet at a venue that is important, not its general appearance; I have found Dempeys a far better venue than many in places like Brighton, where the scene seems to be really going downhill compared to 10 years ago.

Manchester Pride was GREAT, so much going on, and the parade must have been the biggest ever, more than a mile long once it got going! However, the parade bit was free, and to get into Pride it was, yes, £22, although I got an earlybird £18 ticket. However, when placing Manchester Pride alongside Sheffield Pride where it is more than half the cost of the 4-day Manc Pride to go and see one measly stage open for a single afternoon with non-local unknown acts, Sheffield Pride is NO EQUAL, especially as even the drink prices at Sheffield Pride were more than any of Sheffield's gay bars charge!

I'm not needlessly criticising only Sheffield Pride; other prides are just as guilty of charging high prices to see mediocre entertainment: Brighton, Nottingham, even Doncaster pride on previous years come to mind (Well done Doncaster Pride this year for a great new location and FREE entry).

I really do hope to see a FREE Sheffield Pride next year, FULL of LOCAL talent, under ENTIRELY NEW Management, with CHEAP Drinks and ALL THE LOCAL GAY VENUES taking part, with their own DJ's and drag shows, etc!:love::love::love:

The drink prices at Sheffield Pride was expensive? The 2013 Pride saw drinks being very reasonably charged.

I think it's Sheffield Pride trying to raise money, they are after all, absolutely skint.

The drink prices at Sheffield Pride was expensive? The 2013 Pride saw drinks being very reasonably charged.

I think it's Sheffield Pride trying to raise money, they are after all, absolutely skint.

You're absolutely right there; I meant that the drinks prices at THIS YEAR'S Sheffield Pride were extortionate, compared to 2013 when they were VERY reasonable, and that was, quite frankly, the highlight of the whole 2013 Pride lol.

BTW, Pea Nutty, Yes, Fuel has reopened at the former Boardwalk, on the corner of Bank Street and Snig Hill, opposite the police HQ. An unusual choice for location, if I was opening a new gay club I would locate it at a site in the West Street/Division Street area, closer to the other two LGBT venues: one of the main problems with the Sheffield Scene is that ever since clubs moved into town from Attercliffe, there has been no proper focal 'village' area, unlike Leeds or even Nottingham.:confused:

---------- Post added 05-09-2014 at 18:33 ----------

Just for those interested in popping over to Barnsley once in a while, here's the details of BARNSLEY PRIDE this Sunday:

SUNDAY 7TH SEPTEMBER

Brought to you by Camp Rock, Wildcats & The Barnsley LGBT Forum.

Working in partnership with BMBC, The Civic & many more.

Location- Town Centre in Mandela Gardens ( Behind Civic )

FUN FOR ALL THE FAMILY 10am -5pm

Stalls Open From 10am

FUN FOR ALL THE FAMILY 10am -5pm

Stalls Open From 10am

Various local Stage Entertainment & Bar Open From Middday.

The Day Event is a FREE Event!

Please note that you can't bring your own alcohol. If you do it will be confiscated.

I will of course be there myself, so it will be another great reason to come and enjoy the day out!

Edited by Tyranna

Walked past Twist/Fuel earlier and noticed their rather odd new opening hours which involves them opening until later on Wednesday and Thursday than on Friday and Saturdays...

Edited by No User Name

I've give up on that club now , they have changed and restricted their opening hours so much now I never know if it will be open when I turn up, so I just dont go at all !!

At least Dempseys and Icons I am reasonably sure will be open seven days a week !!!

:rant:

From memory:

Tuesday 8-2

Wednesday and Thursday 8-4

Friday and Saturday 8-3

Bizarre.

From memory:

Tuesday 8-2

Wednesday and Thursday 8-4

Friday and Saturday 8-3

Bizarre.

You could check their Facebook, but remember that the venue is virtually two seperate premises, TWIST, downstairs, which is open from 8pm until 2am (unless those hours have changed) and FUEL which is open from 10pm until as late as 6am, depending on the time of week; again, even back in April, Fuel has only been open on weekends, while Twist was open almost every day of the week. So best to check with the venue exactly which opening times apply to which venue on which day.

To my knowledge, Twist/Fuel are opening from Tues-Sat. starting on 23 Sept.;)

To my knowledge, Twist/Fuel are opening from Tues-Sat. starting on 23 Sept.;)

No. Only Twist will be opening Tuesday to Saturday. Fuel will still only open Friday and Saturday.

You could check their Facebook, but remember that the venue is virtually two seperate premises, TWIST, downstairs, which is open from 8pm until 2am (unless those hours have changed) and FUEL which is open from 10pm until as late as 6am, So best to check with the venue exactly which opening times apply to which venue on which day.;)

Thanks, Earthboy, that is more or less exactly what I meant; Fuel will generally only be open at weekends.

BTW, ICANDY at Groove, Chesterfield, is BACK, tomorrow (Weds. 17th Sept). See: https://www.facebook.com/groups/84365608425/?fref=ts

---------- Post added 17-09-2014 at 13:15 ----------

...And for all you fans of CLIMAX, its on THIS Friday the 19th September, Alice In Wonderland Theme!

See: Climax on Facebook :love:

It's the big gay first anniversary of icons bar in west street this saturday, guaranteed to be packed is anyone going ? I may go with my dog :-)

It's the big gay first anniversary of icons bar in west street this saturday, guaranteed to be packed is anyone going ? )

Yes it should be a busy weekend, the posters are on Facebook and nice to see local drag queen : Drag Diva Lola Saturday night and Krystal Lyx Balls on Sunday for games.