Walkley good schools?

I currently live in Hillsborough, but I'm thinking of moving up the hill to Walkley and maybe Crookes. My reasons are that I have a toddler and I want him to end up in the best school I can afford. Secondary is a long time off, but I really want to get settled in time for primary in a good feeder school, in the right catchment.

So anyway....does anyone have the lowdown on Walkley school catchments etc? Walkley seems like a good enough area, and moving up to Crookes seems to add at least 30k to the price.

Rivelin is a good school. My niece goes there. I volunteered at Hillsborough junior school and it was horrible. Kids were really rough compared to the children who went to the one I worked at in Crosspool which is the best school I have worked at but Rivelin comes close.

Rivelin is a feeder for Forge Valley which, I think, would be fairly described as failing. You really need to think about areas of Crookes or Walkley which are in catchment for Tapton.

I've also heard parts of Walkley could be in the catchment for Forge Valley? So Tapton, and not Kind Edwards?

Thanks

I've also heard parts of Walkley could be in the catchment for Forge Valley? So Tapton, and not Kind Edwards?

Thanks

Yes large parts of Walkley are in catchment for Forge Valley but I think there are other parts eg between South Road and Northfield road which may slip into Tapton catchment. AFAIK King Edwards is a very good school but I think the catchment for it goes from Broomhill southwards. I think Crookes is pretty firmly Tapton's area. Someone else may be able to correct me as this is just info I get from friends. I won't be having kids until I can afford to move out of S6 myself.

To be honest if kids are intelligent they will do well irrelevant.

To be honest if kids are intelligent they will do well irrelevant.

Nonsense! There's a reason why a good school adds tens of thousands to property prices. The opportunities provided by good schools are incalculable. The benefits of not having lessons disturbed, a peer group with similar ambitions, parents financially and intellectually supporting the school, opportunities for extra curricular activities, etc. Any sensible person will aim for the very best school they can afford for their children.

Nonsense! There's a reason why a good school adds tens of thousands to property prices. The opportunities provided by good schools are incalculable. The benefits of not having lessons disturbed, a peer group with similar ambitions, parents financially and intellectually supporting the school, opportunities for extra curricular activities, etc. Any sensible person will aim for the very best school they can afford for their children.

There is also a little truth to my statement. It isnt total nonsense at all. If your child is brainy they will do well at even a poor school. Yes they will do even better at an even better school but still well at a poor school. If your child isnt brainy they wont do as well as the brighter children at the poor school or the better school. So not nonsense. Like i said if you child is brainy, they will be brainy no matter which school they attend.

There is also a little truth to my statement. It isnt total nonsense at all. If your child is brainy they will do well at even a poor school. Yes they will do even better at an even better school but still well at a poor school. If your child isnt brainy they wont do as well as the brighter children at the poor school or the better school. So not nonsense. Like i said if you child is brainy, they will be brainy no matter which school they attend.

That presupposes that schools/a child's environment have no bearing on their intelligence. Whilst studies show a significant genetic component to intelligence, their nursery, schooling and parenting will all have a significant contribution. Whilst a talented child might achieve well beyond expectations at a poor school, that school will none the less be limiting their potential just like it will condemn every other child who attends to under achievement.

Thanks...if that's right then I guess the Walkley area (between South & Northfield Rd), will probably be similar price wise to Crookes. For me it's about giving my child the best chances I can, even if their not super intelligent, a good school will hopefully set them on the right path.

My son has just started at Walkley School (last Ofsted rating = Good) and we are very happy with it. Good mix of kids and teachers seem really dedicated. It feeds in to both Forge Valley and King Eds. Also have neighbours whose kids go to Rivelin (feeds to Forge Valley) who are happy.

Don't expect to live in Walkely and get you kids into Westways in Crookes (which feeds to King Eds). It was oversubscribed this year and only catchment kids got it. Walkley is also becoming more popular and has just doubled it's intake.

Good luck!

Don't expect to live in Walkely and get you kids into Westways in Crookes (which feeds to King Eds). It was oversubscribed this year and only catchment kids got it.

That's interesting. The council's guidebook says that no catchment applications to Westways were turned down, so there must have been a place for every catchment application but no more.