Star & Garter pub

When will the mania to build yet more student accommodation stop ? Another piece of Sheffield history heading for the landfill someone better get their camera out .

I guess when there are more demand for pubs and less for student housing...

Supply and demand is usually the key.

Planning Application

16/03264/FUL | Demolition of existing public house and hot food takeaway and erection of 16-storey student accommodation building comprising 38x cluster flats and 29x studio apartments, with associated cycle parking, landscaping and amenity space including games area, gym, cinema, library, common room and lounge area at ground and lower ground floor levels | Site Of 82 - 84 Winter Street Sheffield S3 7ND

https://planningapps.sheffield.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=OCH39CNYLEK00

16 stories!!! That's a building that's going to be difficult to miss! Hope they've thought about the additional flow of pedestrians and cycles as getting out of that junction at the top of Weston Street onto Winter Street can be pretty hairy as it is now.

Guest makapaka
It doesn't matter whether people use it or not if it's worth more to redevelop. Profit is all that matters.

Well yes to an extent. But generally even tied pubs aren't closed and redeveloped when they're successful.

I can't think of many thriving and popular pubs that have just shut and been redeveloped - it's always those that have a high turnover of managers and few customers.

Well yes to an extent. But generally even tied pubs aren't closed and redeveloped when they're successful.

I can't think of many thriving and popular pubs that have just shut and been redeveloped - it's always those that have a high turnover of managers and few customers.

Punch and Enterprise have so much land it's untrue. They can't make money from their flawed tied pub business model so they have been left with lots and lots of property. They don't give a sparrow's chuff what happens to the property just as long as they can sell it.

Except on those occasions when they try to get a covenant in place, but even then good can prevail

Enterprise Inns pubs are mostly ex Stones houses. Punch Taverns pubs are former Mansfield houses its not uncommon for the two pubcos to sale each others pubs to one or other. But both companies are in debt so they do like to have a clear out of pubs now and again.

Guest makapaka
Punch and Enterprise have so much land it's untrue. They can't make money from their flawed tied pub business model so they have been left with lots and lots of property. They don't give a sparrow's chuff what happens to the property just as long as they can sell it.

Except on those occasions when they try to get a covenant in place, but even then good can prevail

No I understand that entirely. Just going back to my original point. Those pubs that are well frequented don't seem to be closing down though. It tends to be pubs (like the star and garter) that don't appear to have attracted anyone in for years.

The Star & Garter had some loyal regular customers, but there were only a few of them, so although it's very sad to see it go, it's no surprise, really. I always wondered why it didn't get more custom from students, being the closest pub to the university, but maybe students prefer their own bars in the students' union, or the bars in town, instead.

The Star & Garter had some loyal regular customers, but there were only a few of them, so although it's very sad to see it go, it's no surprise, really. I always wondered why it didn't get more custom from students, being the closest pub to the university, but maybe students prefer their own bars in the students' union, or the bars in town, instead.

Depends on bar prices students seem to be targeted with offers. Perhaps the Star and Garter was not aimed at them for some reason .

Depends on bar prices students seem to be targeted with offers. Perhaps the Star and Garter was not aimed at them for some reason .

I only went to the Star and Garter once when I was a student, and I was based in the Art's Tower.

It was not aimed at students at all, seemed very dated.

Guest makapaka
I only went to the Star and Garter once when I was a student, and I was based in the Art's Tower.

It was not aimed at students at all, seemed very dated.

I always thought it was bizarre that a pub opposite the arts tower and down the road from the nursing campus had zero students in it....

I am very sympathetic to pubs closing but it's no surprise that one has.

No-one went in it because it wasn't a good pub. I remember it in the old Tetley days when it was much better and university people went in along with locals and visitors.

If pubs don't adapt to changes in the market then they'll fail. The S&G seemed to only welcome 'locals' from the houses nearby. Karaoke and Carling. Increasingly those people don't spend their money in pubs (it's too expensive, other things to do etc etc). So the pub fails.

But it could be a thriving pub again with the right management. If it went 'gastro' and 'craft' while retaining its history for example, it could do well. But the owners can't be bothered as it's worth more to simply flatten and replace with a hideous block of flats.

We need to think how to retain old buildings such as this. Maybe they could build a block of flats while retaining the pub. The town planning students across the road could use it as a case study.