Did i avoid food poisoning?

Last week we were on a beach and they were having a barbeque, there was pork, burgers, sausages, chicken,etc, now i know chicken is not great for a BBQ as it takes a long time to cook, and a lot of people pre cook it, but me being the greedy person that i am, i chose just about everything available, and chose the biggest chicken thigh imaginable, when i had just about finished my chicken..............i noticed it was still raw inside, in my greed i never noticed until it was just about gone, and when i say raw, i mean bloody...yikes.

A friend said that he was once told, that in a situation like this, you should down a huge measure of spirit to kill the bacteria, so i ordered a huge rum, probably about four measures in total, and downed it in one go for maximum effect, to cut a long story short, although the spirit made me gip. i suffered no food poisoning.

So my question is, did the spirit actually kill the bacteria, or was it just a lucky escape by me?

I had a curry last night followed by four pints of lager.

Everything's ok so far!

Last week we were on a beach and they were having a barbeque, there was pork, burgers, sausages, chicken,etc, now i know chicken is not great for a BBQ as it takes a long time to cook, and a lot of people pre cook it, but me being the greedy person that i am, i chose just about everything available, and chose the biggest chicken thigh imaginable, when i had just about finished my chicken..............i noticed it was still raw inside, in my greed i never noticed until it was just about gone, and when i say raw, i mean bloody...yikes.

A friend said that he was once told, that in a situation like this, you should down a huge measure of spirit to kill the bacteria, so i ordered a huge rum, probably about four measures in total, and downed it in one go for maximum effect, to cut a long story short, although the spirit made me gip. i suffered no food poisoning.

So my question is, did the spirit actually kill the bacteria, or was it just a lucky escape by me?

I wouldn't say it's lucky as most people who are in good health, are not elderly or otherwise infirm have a good immune system. It quite probably had salmonella in, possibly listeria, campylobacter, and your immuine system did it's job and trashed the bugs.

Most people don't get food poisoning, but the cases that do arise are most unpleasant so of course food hygiene isn't something to be trivialised. But panicking over a bit of uncooked food is possibly an overreaction.

However I do like the excuse for a quadruple rum :)

I had a similar thing happen to me, I was testing out a new grill and cooking a chicken kebab. I ate the kebab whilst watching a film in the dark, toward the end of the film my wife came in and turned the light on. I went to eat another bite and noticed it was completely raw in the middle. I was sure I would become ill but I didn't not at all. If the meat is sealed the chances are you'll be okay, probably not worth risking it on a regular basis but I think you'd have to be pretty unlucky to get really ill.

Chickens blood contains neuro-toxins and nanobots as well as nasty food poisoning bacilli, although, fortunately, all three of these threats readily dissolve when in contact with stuff like rum, producing harmless by-products like flatulence and a headache.

Chickens blood is used in Voodoo quite a bit, mainly to induce the above symtoms, resulting in tummy aches, head colds and in extreme cases, zombification and pacts with Satan. Fortunately, it is not sheer coincidence that rum happens to be manufactured in most areas that practice Voodoo.

It amazes me that people don't soak eggs in rum before opening, for the above scientific reasons.

I had a similar thing happen to me, I was testing out a new grill and cooking a chicken kebab. I ate the kebab whilst watching a film in the dark, toward the end of the film my wife came in and turned the light on. I went to eat another bite and noticed it was completely raw in the middle. I was sure I would become ill but I didn't not at all. If the meat is sealed the chances are you'll be okay, probably not worth risking it on a regular basis but I think you'd have to be pretty unlucky to get really ill.

and i would have thought it was the other way round, you would have to be pretty lucky not to get ill :)

E.coli and salmonella the most common forms of food poisoning can be killed by ethanol concentrations of 40% and above. So a strong rum could well have a beneficial effect in reducing bacteria. It also gives you something else to blame the sickness on.

Just goes to reinforce some of my earlier impressions.