University Arms

I can't say how but I have just seen an appeal from someone who is supposedly a chef at the university saying that the University Arms is going to be demolished in order to build a new university building and wants it stopped. Naturally I am all for stopping it, or would be if I had the power to do so. But it is actually the first I've heard of it. Has anyone else?

Apologies if this is old news but I have been away for a couple of weeks and couldn't see it on a recent thread so...

I've heard both this and Hendersons Relish will come down if the Uni get their way with regards to future development.

I'm generally in favour of anything the Uni does, but not on this one.

Regards

Doom

The link won't open for some reason - just getting the whirring donut of doom... but I'm guessing is true then? Bugger.

petition...

(it's on the lib dem website, but don't let that put you off signing...)

http://www.uoslibdems.org.uk/save_university_arms

Cheers. Sadly nature of my job means I can't participate but I think it is good you have posted it here so others can.

There is a consultation open. All students, non students and staff members can participate here.

Sadly that doesn't include Government officials who have to remain impartial at all costs!

Incredible, seeing as the University just spent money doing the place up!

Sad really; the University seem set on destroying another set of Sheffield's historical buildings. They knocked down a beautiful Georgian terrace to create the monstrous Learning Commons.

I'd suggest that people read the University's masterplan before leaping to conclusions:

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/campusmasterplan

There are three proposals relating to the area around the University Arms. Only one of them, based on the most extreme projection of future student numbers, involves knocking the pub down. All of the proposals involve creating a significant new public space where there is currently little but shacks and temporary buildings.

Is the Univeristy Arms really historic? I drink in there quite a lot and to me it's a decent real ale pub, nothing more. I like the idea of a real ale pub close to the heart of the campus but it doesn't seem worth getting into an uproar about.

As for the Henderson's Relish building - it can be seen still standing on the future plans for extensive improvements around Upper Hanover Street and Leavygreave Road. The suggestion seems to be simply removing the ramshackle 'lean-to' section on the side of the building, "to increase pavement width and improve pedestrian flow" while leaving he main structure intact.

Now, I would agree that this building qualifies as historic, or perhaps iconic, but I don't think that modifying it slightly is a big deal and let's face it: the lean-to itself is pretty ugly.

....three proposals relating to the area around the University Arms....one of them, based on the most extreme projection of future student numbers, involves knocking the pub down.

Rather than 'jumping to conclusions' people are concerned that the university seems to be keen to demolish all old buildings (regardless of quality or heritage value) and put up shiny steel and glass ones (regardless of quality). As you've pointed out, demolishing the University Arms is a serious option put on the table by the university. No-one else was thinking that was a great idea. What do the Uni Architecture Dept think to these plans I wonder.

Sheffield has lost a lot of its old buildings that we should have kept. There needs to be a very solid case for knocking down buildings like this.