George Osborne new editor of Evening Standard

Welcome to the Forum. Judging by your first post, it'll will be a baptism of fire for you :hihi:

Thank you Mister M. I'll do my best to post more than once every seven years from now on.

Thank you Mister M. I'll do my best to post more than once every seven years from now on.

Quality over quantity ;)

If you think Osborne's appointment is egregious, check out this rambling nonsense from Boris Johnson and assure yourself that you too could have been Foreign Secretary, if only you had gone to Eton https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/foreign-secretary-speech-at-the-british-chamber-of-commerce

Please remember GREED IS GOOD and riches are for the already wealthy and the rest to envy of course. So Osbourne did his LOADS OF MONEY speech in the house, and it was good, and the poor that he helped commit suicide over the bedroom tax, well he scored well on that one too.

No one realises the contempt such people have for ordinary people, how they at best pity them while spitting in their faces, because they are obviously in need of reminding of their lowly place in the economic social structure.

They are certainly getting more and more out of touch with ordinary people.

And yes, I do think they have utter contempt for the poorest in society even though they have helped to create them.

Quality over quantity ;)

If you think Osborne's appointment is egregious, check out this rambling nonsense from Boris Johnson and assure yourself that you too could have been Foreign Secretary, if only you had gone to Eton https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/foreign-secretary-speech-at-the-british-chamber-of-commerce

"I literally physically sat on top of 13 tonnes of chilled fruit, packed and ready to be distributed to the stalls of London"

This mob are going for it with this austerity thing aren't they! Our Foreign Secretary has to travel in the hold of an aircraft sat on a pile of fruit.

It gets to me that at the local level, you cannot stand to be a councilor if you work for or have links to the local council. Which rules out a large percentage of the local population.

Yet Osborne can have all the conflicts he wants.

Discussion on question time: one of the panel was saying MPs need extra jobs as they are woefully underpaid compared with the £250,000+ a board member etc. can expect.

Personally I don't think it's the MPs who are underpaid, but all the rest who are woefully overpaid for very little.

Discussion on question time: one of the panel was saying MPs need extra jobs as they are woefully underpaid compared with the £250,000+ a board member etc. can expect.

Personally I don't think it's the MPs who are underpaid, but all the rest who are woefully overpaid for very little.

A survey in 1983 by SSRB found that MPs were doing a 42 hour week compared to the 69 hours they were doing while Westminster was sitting.

The last comprehensive survey that asked MPs how many hours they worked was done by the Hansard Society in 2011. It found that most of the new intake of 2010 MPs estimated they worked 69 hours a week.

Depending on which figures you take, MPs earn between £35-£50 per hour.

It would be a very long week if they had a demanding second job.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/apr/23/who-works-most-teachers-or-mps

Yes I'd probably agree that board members as massively overpaid, but until we can somehow bring down those salaries then I do think we should be paying MPs more but as I said earlier, banning them from second jobs or other sources of income that might cause a conflict of interests.

The Editor is not a reporter. Especially not Osborne, who has never done any work like that.

No, the editor is the boss. He decides who the reporters are and what articles they write and whether they make it to the final print. HAve you never watched a spiderman or superman documentary?

Yes I'd probably agree that board members as massively overpaid, but until we can somehow bring down those salaries then I do think we should be paying MPs more but as I said earlier, banning them from second jobs or other sources of income that might cause a conflict of interests.

We should have cracked down when public servants paid by our taxes started thinking they should be paid 6 figure salaries like their private sector counterparts, 'because we need the best.' What a joke that's turned out to be.

Let's start paying teachers, nurses, firemen etc a better wage before we add to MPs sense of entitlement.

Considering the propensity of most is not to let others tell you what you can do and to aim high and do what you want in this world, its very odd how lots of people are banding together to tell Osborne he shouldnt be taking this role.

If he thinks he can manage the responsibility, let him do it and give him the benefit of the doubt. If and only if he fails to fulfil his role as MP for Tatton, can the people of Tatton tell him he is wrong. They have the opportunity to deselect him as their Conservative candidate or they can vote him out of his seat.

We should have cracked down when public servants paid by our taxes started thinking they should be paid 6 figure salaries like their private sector counterparts, 'because we need the best.' What a joke that's turned out to be.

Let's start paying teachers, nurses, firemen etc a better wage before we add to MPs sense of entitlement.

I agree with this.