A good product to stop cats scratching wallpaper

hiya can anyone recomend a good product that actually works to spray on wallpaper to stop my cats from scragging it. i tried squirting jif lemon on it but that only worked for a few days :help: :help:

Provide an alternative scratching post (hessian backed carpet is a good one) Bitter bite doesnt seem to have any effect - our bengal Alfie chews for hours on my fancy string curtain - it's only been up a month and a bit and already it's got a fine frilly stepped effect where he's bitten clean through the strands!

Don't know a product sorry but you reminded me of when I used to live in a flat with spongey wallpaper and my kittens used to run right up the walls!:hihi: They used to get stuck so far up and I would have to unhook them to get them down. Mind you it gave me a chance to eat my dinner in peace if I didn't get them down straight away:hihi: It looked amazing but they ended up shredding the walls and I had to completely redecorate.

Ha - we had the contour wallpaper in my first house - had only just decorated the kitchen then acquired kittens and quickly watched it go from pristine to frilly.

we cant move for scratchy posts , they have a big huge one and 2 smaller ones , one at the top and one at the bottom of the stairs but everyday im having to repaint the wallpaper ( it wasnt ment to be painted but they scragged it that much it was easier to keep repainting than to replace ripped parts) :|

You could laminate all your walls to dado level :D

Tell the cats you'll have them de-clawed if they don't stop?

Isn't orange peel supposed to be more effective than lemon? (don't quote me on that coz I'm not sure)

and they're not supposed to like vinegar either, but would white vinegar be best?

where's medusa when you need her? :help:

You could try placing a square piece of carpet where he/she is scratching or if you don't want to notice it that much put a square of perspex up?

Hard one as my cat used to do it, no spray's lemon scented keep off things used to work. You re-decorate, cat waits a few days then does it again, can't win.

Has he got a scratch post? Another idea, if you can get him out of the habit of scratching that particular bit of wallpaper.

You could laminate all your walls to dado level :D

Tell the cats you'll have them de-clawed if they don't stop?

Isn't orange peel supposed to be more effective than lemon? (don't quote me on that coz I'm not sure)

and they're not supposed to like vinegar either, but would white vinegar be best?

where's medusa when you need her? :help:

ill end up with dado rail laminate before much longer :hihi:

well the wallpaper was a very pale creamy colour to start with so the orange peel would have stained but they made that much mess that its no painted beige... so i could get away with it i recon.

ohh beleive me iv tried the vinegar the house reaked and the wallpaper still got shredded , iv even tried deoderant :rolleyes:

they are gremlins pure and simple ...

You could try placing a square piece of carpet where he/she is scratching or if you don't want to notice it that much put a square of perspex up?

Hard one as my cat used to do it, no spray's lemon scented keep off things used to work. You re-decorate, cat waits a few days then does it again, can't win.

Has he got a scratch post? Another idea, if you can get him out of the habit of scratching that particular bit of wallpaper.

its from the bottom of the stairs all the way up so patches of carpet or perspex isnt going to really work, its from the skirting boards to as far up as they can stretch

yep they have a big scratchy post and also 2 on the stairs to try and keep them off the walls

ohh dear i suppose im just going to have to keep the tub of paint and paint brush handy so i can keep re painting the scragged parts :|

oh well - you'll just have to have them de-clawed then Poddington :shakes:

oh dear sounds extreme.....you could try the old spray bottle trick?, each time you catch em at it, a quick spray with the water, they may get the idea not to do?

First of all spray them with, spray flea stuff. Then give the are a spray with the same stuff. They will then associate the smell of the spray with the experiance of being flea sprayed, which they hate.