Hidden charges Hertz Rental

As you know, I've lived here for some 9 years soon. In that time I always maintained that British customer service is ten times better than Dutch customer service, what I did not expect was that the customer service at a huge international operation, Hertz rental, would actually stoop to the low level that is common in the Netherlands.

I rented a car some weeks ago, for four days at an excellent rate. In the office a sign explained that re-fuel charge would be 1,66 euro plus a standard fee of 12 euro. I also got sold, knowingly, cover for damage etc. at 50 euro.

I returned the car with about 30 liter of fuel used, so logic would dictate that I would have to pay something like 50 euro for the fuel, 12 euro for the fee and 50 euro for the cover.

You can imagine my shock when the credit-card was deducted with 180£ instead of the expected 80£.

I never received a bill, the money was just taken out. I sent an e-mail, demanding an invoice and to my shock they had charged 2,99 / liter of fuel, added a 55 euro Airport Surcharge (whatever that is), and several other, inexplicable fees including VAT ON TOP of the 2,99, adding a whopping 100£ to my bill.

Absolutely disgusting, fortunately my credit card provider is not afraid to get its hands dirty for gold-customers and have agreed that they will back me with judicial support if needed, but I would just like to warn people of this by venting my experience. Be aware for hidden charges! They claim by the way that it was in the small-print. I have checked the small-print, it was not in there at all.

Why didn't you fill the car up before returning it ?

Why didn't you fill the car up before returning it ?

Didn't have time, my brother and his wife had planned a 'surprise'. I explained this to the lady at the desk and she said it was fine, they would refuel it. She never mentioned the extortionate cost though.

Yes that's sharp practise,I wouldn't be surprised if they are told not to mention extra charges unless asked. This charge is common with car rental you won't get burned again lesson learned and all that.

Yes that's sharp practise,I wouldn't be surprised if they are told not to mention extra charges unless asked. This charge is common with car rental you won't get burned again lesson learned and all that.

Yes, it is looking that way, received an e-mail stating I had signed a contract. I was not provided with a copy of said contract and in the initial booking there is no mention at all of any of these extra charges.

Unfortunately due to the contract MBNA can not take the case forward so I am, no double Dutch, screwed.

Very annoyed and very unscrupulous practice in my book.

PS am appealing with Hertz through social media. We will see if anything comes out of that.

As you know, I've lived here for some 9 years soon. In that time I always maintained that British customer service is ten times better than Dutch customer service, what I did not expect was that the customer service at a huge international operation, Hertz rental, would actually stoop to the low level that is common in the Netherlands.

I rented a car some weeks ago, for four days at an excellent rate. In the office a sign explained that re-fuel charge would be 1,66 euro plus a standard fee of 12 euro. I also got sold, knowingly, cover for damage etc. at 50 euro.

I returned the car with about 30 liter of fuel used, so logic would dictate that I would have to pay something like 50 euro for the fuel, 12 euro for the fee and 50 euro for the cover.

You can imagine my shock when the credit-card was deducted with 180£ instead of the expected 80£.

I never received a bill, the money was just taken out. I sent an e-mail, demanding an invoice and to my shock they had charged 2,99 / liter of fuel, added a 55 euro Airport Surcharge (whatever that is), and several other, inexplicable fees including VAT ON TOP of the 2,99, adding a whopping 100£ to my bill.

Absolutely disgusting, fortunately my credit card provider is not afraid to get its hands dirty for gold-customers and have agreed that they will back me with judicial support if needed, but I would just like to warn people of this by venting my experience. Be aware for hidden charges! They claim by the way that it was in the small-print. I have checked the small-print, it was not in there at all.

Serious question. Was this just a clever way to let us know you have a gold card?

Me being serious now, it stinks!

Serious question. Was this just a clever way to let us know you have a gold card?

Me being serious now, it stinks!

Hah, no, sorry Timeh, it is just that because we have that card we get free legal assistance for charges related to that card, which is actually relevant I felt.

Didn't have time, my brother and his wife had planned a 'surprise'. I explained this to the lady at the desk and she said it was fine, they would refuel it. She never mentioned the extortionate cost though.

The fuel thing is pretty standard across the board which I why they didn't overtly highlight it. It's normally in bold on most companies paperwork though.

The fuel thing is pretty standard across the board which I why they didn't overtly highlight it. It's normally in bold on most companies paperwork though.

Nothing was highlighted, I have been thinking of how I was presented the paperwork. I thought I was signing for the insurance form and the whole document was presented opened up on the final page.

I know I should have refuelled, but I am also 99% convinced that the sign read: Benzineprijs vandaag: 1,66 and under that some small print. (Fuel price today; 1,66).

All in all I was fleeced royally, but there isn't a lot I can do, I was just naive to sign without demanding to read it. In the UK the consumer is protected at that point, in the Netherlands you aren't.

I'm surprised by this.

The Airport Surcharge has been brought up before, seems to be common practice. These charges are all legal loopholes, it is high time that these practices were wiped out. Charges should be made to be as stated on the large print advert in the hire shop with each charge bullet pointed. Fuel prices do fluctuate so adjustments have to be allowed for for the charges you quote are exorbitant.

I'm surprised by this.

As a cloggie, I am not! Seriously though, customer service in this country is at a much higher level, the Brits understand that the loyalty of a customer is worth more than a single transaction. The Dutch don't think that way.

The Airport Surcharge has been brought up before, seems to be common practice. These charges are all legal loopholes, it is high time that these practices were wiped out. Charges should be made to be as stated on the large print advert in the hire shop with each charge bullet pointed. Fuel prices do fluctuate so adjustments have to be allowed for for the charges you quote are exorbitant.

Yes, agreed entirely. I have emailed the MEP and a contact in Dutch politics. Looking forward to see what response I get.

btw. it isn't the fee, it is the principle.