Why are people dismissive of things that are unfamiliar

For example.

Someone asks about calf cramp and I suggested looking at foam rollers.

They proceed to dismiss them as glorified, over priced, paint rollers.

Clearly they've no idea what they're talking about, so why not just say "no thanks", or maybe google it and find out what it is before saying no?

It makes you wonder why you bother. If I ask for advice, I do at least consider the advice I get, and look it up before deciding whether to try it or not!

For example.

Clearly they've no idea what they're talking about, so why not just say "no thanks", or maybe google it and find out what it is before saying no?

It makes you wonder why you bother. If I ask for advice, I do at least consider the advice I get, and look it up before deciding whether to try it or not!

Frankly, I find the strangest thing about the OP's response to your suggestion is that he or she would prefer to take a tablet rather than something less invasive, such as your suggestion of a foam roller (which I have used myself and found effective after exercise).

For example.

Who on earth could that person be? Perhaps he's the sort of person who (after consideration) doesn't fall for being ripped off for something that's re-packaged as an expensive version of something much cheaper (that does the same job). :P

---------- Post added 31-07-2015 at 10:37 ----------

Frankly, I find the strangest thing about the OP's response to your suggestion is that he or she would prefer to take a tablet rather than something less invasive, such as your suggestion of a foam roller (which I have used myself and found effective after exercise).

Oooh ... we've started another thread have we?! :D

I specifically didn't mention the person as I'd rather talk about the wider issue. That's just one example.

You make a good point though alcoblog that people often believe they know what they're talking about (repackaged version of something else), when in reality they have absolutely no clue. You'd hope that when asking for advice such people would do some basic research before making assertions like that, but it's not the case.

What gives these people the confidence to dismiss something when they know nothing about it? And why behave like that when asking for advice?

I specifically didn't mention the person as I'd rather talk about the wider issue. That's just one example.

You make a good point though alcoblog that people often believe they know what they're talking about (repackaged version of something else), when in reality they have absolutely no clue. You'd hope that when asking for advice such people would do some basic research before making assertions like that, but it's not the case.

What gives these people the confidence to dismiss something when they know nothing about it? And why behave like that when asking for advice?

Oh,give it a rest!:P

You're a marketeer's dream ... take something very cheap, as in (but not exclusively) a paint roller, cover it in some tacky high tech looking (to the gullible) finish (sticky-backed 'carbon fibre' print goes down well at the mo), then flog it off at an extortionate profit.

Something like this 'massage' roller takes no more 'research' than a cursory (sideways) glance ... it's a tube with padding on it for god's sake! What do you think's in it ... Kryptonite or condensed ley-lines?

By the way, when I dismissed the subject of the product that's sparked off this thread, I did say 'with no disrespect', so why it's prompted you to start this thread off about (let's face it) me, is a complete mystery. It's like going and crying to mummy. :huh:

You persist in thinking that foam rollers are similar to paint rollers. They aren't except that they are both cylindrical, you refuse to even look and find out. I assume you've also not bothered to read the link about what they are or how they work.

The finish is not carbon fibre look. It's a firm foam, you wouldn't want to roll using a hard plastic surface.

Yes, it is a tube with padding on it, well done.

You've made this thread about you, I was thinking about you and all the other narrow minded people who dismiss things without a clue after asking for advice, and what it is that gives them the false self confidence or bravado to form opinions on things without any evidence first.

Oh, and it wasn't just my comment about it that you dismissed. The comment from someone else about the fencing team using them you dismissed with some weak joke about combat in the middle ages. It's like you don't want to be helped, you'd rather take some tablets than try an alternative that costs £20...

You persist in thinking that foam rollers are similar to paint rollers. They aren't except that they are both cylindrical, you refuse to even look and find out. I assume you've also not bothered to read the link about what they are or how they work.

The finish is not carbon fibre look. It's a firm foam, you wouldn't want to roll using a hard plastic surface.

Yes, it is a tube with padding on it, well done.

You've made this thread about you, I was thinking about you and all the other narrow minded people who dismiss things without a clue after asking for advice, and what it is that gives them the false self confidence or bravado to form opinions on things without any evidence first.

Oh, and it wasn't just my comment about it that you dismissed. The comment from someone else about the fencing team using them you dismissed with some weak joke about combat in the middle ages. It's like you don't want to be helped, you'd rather take some tablets than try an alternative that costs £20...

If you're referring to the link 'What is a foam roller, how do I use it?', then, yes, I have read it. It's a foam roller (very similar to a foam paint roller apart from the missing word 'paint') in a choice of ten different funky finishes.

I did not say that one of them was 'carbon fibre effect', merely that it's a popular finish at the mo.

You roll it on your body in a similar way as to how you could with a paint roller, having (hopefully) washed out any paint. Nothing special.

Sorry for having a sense of humour. :P

Frankly, I find the strangest thing about the OP's response.

Dont take people so seriously, its not real, its a forum.

Do you roll them on your body? I thought the idea is to roll your body on it. So it goes on the floor, you lay sidways on it, so your leg is in contact with the roller, then you roll up and down!

Could try doing it with another foam cylindrical object?

Worse cramp I ever had was after running my first marathon. Oh lordy, I was effing and blinding like a trooper. Felt like my whole leg muscle cramped up to the size of a golf ball. Oouch!

Anyhow, back to the argument...

For example.

Theres a lot of thick people about who will make decisions based on no rationale whatsoever. Just accept it.

Theres a lot of thick people about who will make decisions based on no rationale whatsoever. Just accept it.

Precisely! ... although I didn't wish to say it myself for fear of appearing rude, you've basically taken the words right out of my mouth. A roller is, after all, a roller ... just a bit of good old fashioned rationale eh? :thumbsup:

Oh,give it a rest!:P

You're a marketeer's dream ... take something very cheap, as in (but not exclusively) a paint roller, cover it in some tacky high tech looking (to the gullible) finish (sticky-backed 'carbon fibre' print goes down well at the mo), then flog it off at an extortionate profit.

Something like this 'massage' roller takes no more 'research' than a cursory (sideways) glance ... it's a tube with padding on it for god's sake! What do you think's in it ... Kryptonite or condensed ley-lines?

By the way, when I dismissed the subject of the product that's sparked off this thread, I did say 'with no disrespect', so why it's prompted you to start this thread off about (let's face it) me, is a complete mystery. It's like going and crying to mummy. :huh:

I'm the same with Fraybentos pies...cheap nasty alternative to the real thing, but I've never read the label contents, so I'm probably guilty and fail into Cyclones summing up of dismissive. On the other hand I have tasted them...:gag::gag: Cheaper isn't always better, even if they look similar.