Suffering because of climate change?

Our climate affects all areas of life, directly or indirectly, and climate change will have wide-ranging impacts.

The temperature record shows rising temperatures from around 1910, with a dip in 1945, then on the rise again from the 1970s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperature_record

I am guessing most of that rise has been beneficial, at what point does it start to be negative?

2014 was the hottest year on record, are certain countries now getting too hot; how about the UK, our climate has changed.

It also shows the temperature hasn't really increased since the late 90's, which put a brake on people bleating on about 'Global Warming'

Our climate affects all areas of life, directly or indirectly, and climate change will have wide-ranging impacts.

The temperature record shows rising temperatures from around 1910, with a dip in 1945, then on the rise again from the 1970s.

I am guessing most of that rise has been beneficial, at what point does it start to be negative?

2014 was the hottest year on record, are certain countries now getting too hot; how about the UK, our climate has changed.

Could someone bother to inform whoever's running the weather of the fact?

I wouldn't mind some warming sometime soon, summer's been pretty miserable so far, and most of July downright 'orrible :(

Parents living near the Alsace have been enjoying 30+C every day (around 24C at night) for the past month and a bit, non-stop (wherein it eventually stops being so enjoyable...so I'm told :roll:). Now, I can remember summers like that 30-odd years ago, and every now and then since.

It's also been predicted we will enter a mini ice age in the next decade or so.

It suggests that we are lucky that we're not plunging back into an ice age from the current inter-glacial, which has lasted longer than is normal and effectively allowed the civilisation we have to exist.

Sheffield weather record,

yyyy mm tmax tmin af rain sun

degC degC days mm hours

1905 1 - 6.5 - 1.6 13 35.9 ---

1905 2 - 7.5 - 2.5 4 32.4 ---

1905 3 -10.4 - 3.5 0 72.0 ---

1905 4 - 10.1 - 3.8 3 59.5 ---

1905 5 - 14.9 -6.5 0 10.5 ---

1905 6 -19.0 -10.0 0 77.5 ---

2015 1 -6.9 - 2.2 8 83.0 68.1# Provisional

2015 2 -6.9 - 2.0 5 35.4 80.8# Provisional

2015 3 -9.8 -3.2 1 68.7* 114.8# Provisional

2015 4 -14.3 -5.0 0 21.4 223.5# Provisional

2015 5 -14.8 -7.7 0 83.6 164.4# Provisional

2015 6 -19.1 -10.0 0 43.2 195.9#

Panic over?

Edited by retep

Soil temperature at 0900 GMT (1915)

16.1 - at 30 cm depth, C

16.0 - at 2 feet depth, C

Soil temperature at 0900 GMT (2005)

17.5 - at 5 cm depth, C

16.0 - at 10 cm depth, C

16.0 - at 20 cm depth, C

16.9 - at 30 cm depth, C

17.0 - at 50 cm depth, C

16.2 - at 100 cm depth, C

http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/~brugge/reading_past_weather.html

Although its only a small difference between 1915 and 2005, that is roughly the difference on the first graph, in line with climate change. Is that correct?

Where is your data from retep?

The statistical confidence level that 2014 was the hottest year is 38%.

This is because the measurement was within uncertainties/errors of several other years.

It's not exactly a lie, but it's unlikely to be true.

That's before we even get into the matter that the temperature records in question are routinely "adjusted".

Basic global warming science says that a doubling of the CO2 level should increase global temperatures by 1C. Climate modellers say that in their simulations this rises to 1.5-4.5C.

When one states that one "believes in climate change" it is necessary to specify whether this is basic global warming science or the simulations and furthermore which simulations since the results vary by a factor of 3.

Edited by unbeliever

It's not exactly a lie, but it's unlikely to be true.

That's before we even get into the matter that the temperature records in question are routinely "adjusted".

You mention that they get "adjusted", without an actual comment.

Do you think that they should not be "adjusted"?

You mention that they get "adjusted", without an actual comment.

Do you think that they should not be "adjusted"?

Hypothetically, there could be legitimate reasons for making adjustments.

Without a proper explanation as to why they have been adjusted, and since the raw data are not made available; I find it highly dubious.

Hypothetically, there could be legitimate reasons for making adjustments.

Without a proper explanation as to why they have been adjusted, and since the raw data are not made available; I find it highly dubious.

I have seen reasons given, for instance urban heat island biases.

If you are "highly dubious" from the start, I think that is the problem. Do you ask questions or use google if you have doubts?

Urban heat islands would be a reason to adjust the data down, not up.

Highly dubious, ie sceptical of any hypothesis is the correct position to start from. You test the predictions with the intention of falsifying the hypothesis. Assuming that they actually make any testable predictions and actually qualify as a hypothesis.