Depression - What help is available?

I ask this because the incidence of depression seems to be escalating, particularly among young people, yet help seems to be lacking, and prompt help non existent.

We're not talking about being 'fed up' here. Not the 'pull your socks up' kind, but deep, mindnumbing despair, the unable to get out of bed, not capable of helping yourself, kind.... the quiet kind that can lead to suicide before help arrives.

It seems £85 million has been lost from mental health budgets since George Osborne's been in charge, at a time when mental health is deteriorating across the board.

Do people have any experience of this? Can they offer a glimmer of hope to these young people in despair?

I ask this because the incidence of depression seems to be escalating, particularly among young people, yet help seems to be lacking, and prompt help non existent.

We're not talking about being 'fed up' here. Not the 'pull your socks up' kind, but deep, mindnumbing despair, the unable to get out of bed, not capable of helping yourself, kind.... the quiet kind that can lead to suicide before help arrives.

It seems £85 million has been lost from mental health budgets since George Osborne's been in charge, at a time when mental health is deteriorating across the board.

Do people have any experience of this? Can they offer a glimmer of hope to these young people in despair?

I got reading and thought it was genuine despair. Then I hit the third paragraph only to see it was another anti Tory rant. Predictable, if little else

As someone who experiences frequent bouts of depression, I can say activity is the best remedy. Different shades of depression means you may have to seek cbt or talking therapy to get better.

I would feel the merry go round of drugs is a last resort but I dont recommend for mild cases

---------- Post added 27-07-2015 at 14:25 ----------

If Osborne wants higher productivity I would suggest dealing with depression is a top priority. Days off sick, stress and depression go hand in hand

Edited by TJC1
Hnhffu

As someone who experiences frequent bouts of depression, I can say activity is the best remedy. Different shades of depression means you may have to seek cbt or talking therapy to get better.

I would feel the merry go round of drugs is a last resort but I dont recommend for mild cases

I agree but depression sufferers can have problems in motivating themselves out of it by activity.

I find that being identify the warning signals of depression can help, that's where therapy comes in, providing the skills to help spot the signs.

The key is to deal with it quickly, don't let it get hold.

I agree but depression sufferers can have problems in motivating themselves out of it by activity.

I find that being identify the warning signals of depression can help, that's where therapy comes in, providing the skills to help spot the signs.

The key is to deal with it quickly, don't let it get hold.

I mean exercise. And on top of that keep busy,

I mean exercise. And on top of that keep busy,

I assumed you meant exercise, but one of the symptoms of depression is lack of motivation.

I assumed you meant exercise, but one of the symptoms of depression is lack of motivation.

Do people expect to take a magic pill to make everything rosy again? I don't think it works that way.

People get depressed for all sorts of reasons. Excexcise will alleviate some symptoms. As will eating right. As will talking.

Depression is severely underlit in British society. In the Netherlands there is a massive amount of attention, care and therapy available for those that suffer from depression. It is a well known ailment that is treated the way it should be treated.

Depression is severely underlit in British society. In the Netherlands there is a massive amount of attention, care and therapy available for those that suffer from depression. It is a well known ailment that is treated the way it should be treated.

Stigma attached means many will not speak about or seek treatment for depression in this country.

it's still very much taboo. Yet 1 in 4 will have it.

---------- Post added 27-07-2015 at 15:10 ----------

You have to find a way to manage depression that works for you. It's different for everyone, I suspect

Do people expect to take a magic pill to make everything rosy again? I don't think it works that way.

People get depressed for all sorts of reasons. Excexcise will alleviate some symptoms. As will eating right. As will talking.

You're right, it doesn't work that way. But what I think Snailyboy means is that some people deep in depression are so debilitated with it they can barely summon the energy or motivation to move at all, and so lack the ability to help themselves in any meaningful way.

Anti-depressants can help in these instances if only to get people to a position where they can start to work on their recovery. But it has to be noted that this can also be one of the most dangerous times, as they can also now summon up just enough energy to end it all...

You're right, it doesn't work that way. But what I think Snailyboy means is that some people deep in depression are so debilitated with it they can barely summon the energy or motivation to move at all, and so lack the ability to help themselves in any meaningful way.

Anti-depressants can help in these instances if only to get people to a position where they can start to work on their recovery. But it has to be noted that this can also be one of the most dangerous times, as they can also now summon up just enough energy to end it all...

If catatonic as you are stating then medical help is the answer

If catatonic as you are stating then medical help is the answer

Yes, I know medical help is the answer, but when it isn't forthcoming or there is a waiting list of 6 months+, what can people do?

This is the situation a friend of mine is in with her daughter. She won't take pills, but is sinking into a worse and worse state.