Quitting alcohol, has anyone done it?

Well weeks over. Reduction and almost 2 days free. Its a start.

Will try at least 4 clear days next week. Picked up the exercise a bit more, happy about that and aim to increase in coming week.

Take it a day and week at a time.

How's the cutting down going? Made more progress?

I'm probably quite lucky as I've never been able to drink a lot I just have never been able to take it,,I think I am alcohol intolerant it really does knock me up, I can maybe drink two or three pints of beer tops then after that I feel ill and usually end up throwing up if I try to push another one down and I end up having a headache for two days,when I was a lad my mates would take the mickey out of me as I would end up in the pub toilet throwing up, I know when I've had enough as my face seems to go red and I start to sweat, I'm a big bloke and with the size of me you would think I would be able to put a few away,my Dad was the same he was a lightweight when it came to boozing.

How's the cutting down going? Made more progress?

Steady. Not been too well this week tbh.

---------- Post added 31-07-2015 at 16:25 ----------

I'm probably quite lucky as I've never been able to drink a lot I just have never been able to take it,,I think I am alcohol intolerant it really does knock me up, I can maybe drink two or three pints of beer tops then after that I feel ill and usually end up throwing up if I try to push another one down and I end up having a headache for two days,when I was a lad my mates would take the mickey out of me as I would end up in the pub toilet throwing up, I know when I've had enough as my face seems to go red and I start to sweat, I'm a big bloke and with the size of me you would think I would be able to put a few away,my Dad was the same he was a lightweight when it came to boozing.

Lucky to alcohol intolerant. It seems to agree with a lot of people.

Do you know people that don't drink? If so, meet up with them more often.

What is a "shot" ?

Is it what I would call a short or a double ?

Its neither. Bigger than a single, but smaller than a double in America. The shot glass is filled to the brim, and when everyone is ready, all drink one down in one gulp a la John Wayne. I used to drink pretty heavy, not a lot of beer but plenty of whisky. Now I enjoy a good size Canadian Club whisky on ice when I'm out to dinner once a week, and a couple of small draft buds on a Sunday lunchtime, and that's all. My wife is teetotal so is dedicated driver.

---------- Post added 05-08-2015 at 15:00 ----------

I was lucky because i could drink plenty but had no withdrawal problems when I was at sea. My wife to be told the parish priest she was worried about my drinking, but we,ve never had a problem in over 30 years . I had a much tougher time with quitting smoking. I haven't had a cig in nearly ten years, but know I'm one cigarette away from disaster.

In the UK alcohol has to be served in standard measures. So a shot is identical to a single.

In the UK alcohol has to be served in standard measures. So a shot is identical to a single.
We don't have anything as small as a single. The shot glass is the only measure when filled to the brim. Mixed drinks (cocktails) come in many sizes, and are poured directly from the bottle without a measure. You get to know where the best places to go are based on how much you get in your drink, but it's usually pretty generous, something like a triple.

We don't have anything as small as a single. The shot glass is the only measure when filled to the brim. Mixed drinks (cocktails) come in many sizes, and are poured directly from the bottle without a measure. You get to know where the best places to go are based on how much you get in your drink, but it's usually pretty generous, something like a triple.

If you don't have anything as small as a single, what are your doubles based on? :huh:

I didn't have my first drink until a now ex girlfriend from Firth Park said it was embarrassing me drinking coke while she had a lager, I was 20 at the time. I was never really a big drinker except when I visited friends and we went to the NAAFI and got seriously hammered for pennies once in awhile. Then all of a sudden about 14 years ago I just stopped again, never been bothered since. To be absolutely honest we all prefer going to a coffee shop.

The added bonus is my car insurance is also cheaper and my liver etc healthier too:D

If you don't have anything as small as a single, what are your doubles based on? :huh:
We don't order doubles, it just isn't done that way.

---------- Post added 07-08-2015 at 17:36 ----------

We don't order doubles, it just isn't done that way. A shot glass is filled to the brim. When you've drunk it you can do it again or drink a mixed drink with two or more shots in it depending on what the barman does.

So what if you don't want a shot, but you want sipping whiskey?

---------- Post added 07-08-2015 at 23:30 ----------

I didn't have my first drink until a now ex girlfriend from Firth Park said it was embarrassing me drinking coke while she had a lager, I was 20 at the time. I was never really a big drinker except when I visited friends and we went to the NAAFI and got seriously hammered for pennies once in awhile. Then all of a sudden about 14 years ago I just stopped again, never been bothered since. To be absolutely honest we all prefer going to a coffee shop.

The added bonus is my car insurance is also cheaper and my liver etc healthier too:D

How does it affect your car insurance?