Private Parking Ticket Megathread (Part 2)

The law changed back in 2012 in a way that makes it more likely that you will be taken to court, and that you will lose if you don't present a defence.

I doubt that anyone can provide a % figure, but it's definitely happening.

Thanks Cyclone.

Yeah, I've just been reading through some thread on MSE, and as I understand it, current advice is to get a POPLA number and appeal on the basis that the 'fine' is not a genuine pre-estimate of loss.

There's also a step-by-step newbie thread, on MSE: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822

I'm a bit concerned because the original ticked was issued on 16/12/2013. I don't have the original notice to keeper, but have some subsequent letters; dated:

4/4/2014 - amount due £160 - from Roxburghe

15/4/2014 - amount due £160 - from Roxburghe

30/4/2014 - amount due £160 - from Roxburghe

16/7/2015 - amount due £160 - from Debt Recovery Plus

So, the original ticked was issued 19 months ago; will that effect how I process this?

Thanks Cyclone.

Yeah, I've just been reading through some thread on MSE, and as I understand it, current advice is to get a POPLA number and appeal on the basis that the 'fine' is not a genuine pre-estimate of loss.

There's also a step-by-step newbie thread, on MSE: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822

I'm a bit concerned because the original ticked was issued on 16/12/2013. I don't have the original notice to keeper, but have some subsequent letters; dated:

So, the original ticked was issued 19 months ago; will that effect how I process this?

thats quite easy, look on the internet for a debt is denied letter and adjust it To suit yourself, that will stop the letters.

In your situation, it virtually means that they have given up and have sold the make-beleif debt on, or you can just ignore the letters as they wont affect your credit rating or anything.

Hello

I have received a private parking fine from Vehicle Controlls limited at Berkley centre on Eccy rd. I overstayed in the 2hr free car park for 10 minutes. However a period of this time was waiting (with my engine running) for a space. I even came out of the car park to return a few minutes later to try again. I'm therefore a bit hazy on the actual time 'parked' but they have clocked me at 130 minutes. I really don't think £60-100 for a maximum 10 minute overstay is justifiable.

The letter is also in my husbands name (he was still at work at the time) so he would need to declare that it wasn't him.

Am I right in thinking that a recent court case (parking eye versus Beavis) means that you can no longer appeal as successfully with private parking? Is it therefore worth going down the POPLA route or should I just cough up even though they are unreasonable? I won't just throw it away as I don't want this hanging over me.

Thanks in advance

Ps I've read through much of MSE however it looks as though things may have changed recently so my chances of success are slim.

Parking Prankster blog also alludes to this http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk

(Law firms nail their colours to the mast - Supreme Court is not likely to overturn the Beavis result).

Edited by Vicjack78
To update

Update from Highview Parking

This is email I received today, I was only parked for 14 minutes too long.

I just copied a statement some bloke had put on Money saving expert.

You just have to state that a £50 fine for xxx minutes is not credible and ask for it to be sent to the appeal board Popla.

Dear Madam,

Thank you for your correspondence. With reference to the Charge Notice issued to the above vehicle, after reviewing our data and in view of the representations made in connection with its issue, we can confirm that we have decided to cancel this Notice and no further action is to be taken.

Yours faithfully,

Highview Parking Limited

-----Original Message-----

From

Sent: 14 July 2015 17:12

To: Highview

Subject: Notice ref: Xxxxxxxxxxxx

"To Highview Parking

I am writing to you in regards to Charge Notice xxxxxxxxxxReg. Xxx xxxThis charge is punitive. Please cancel the charge forthwith or refer the matter to POPLA and provide me with the POPLA code in doing so.

Hi Debs

Thanks for the reply. Can I ask where you were parked? I'm just wondering if it is the same type of place as on Eccy road for comparison. How long ago did you get the charge and how long did it take for them to reply?

Thanks

I was park in Bradfield rd, the car park opposite the ball pub. In hillsborough

I parked on 26 June, ticket in post 23 July. Appealed via email that same week, 2 weeks later got cancellation email.

---------- Post added 04-08-2015 at 21:59 ----------

Sorry got ticket 8 July, reminder for payment 23 July.

Just got my letters mixed up..

How did that happen, were they told to pay your costs??

YES!!

You should have seen the claimant's face :D

Never felt so smug in all mi life :)

I was park in Bradfield rd, the car park opposite the ball pub. In hillsborough

I parked on 26 June, ticket in post 23 July. Appealed via email that same week, 2 weeks later got cancellation email.

---------- Post added 04-08-2015 at 21:59 ----------

Sorry got ticket 8 July, reminder for payment 23 July.

Just got my letters mixed up..

What was the basis for your appeal against it?

Edit - I see the answer earlier in the thread, not reasonable charge for a 14 minute overstay.

---------- Post added 05-08-2015 at 08:16 ----------

Thanks Cyclone.

You've missed the boat on appealing to POPLA, which is the 1st step that should always be taken.

They can't do anything to you now except take you to court.

So unless you get official court papers, I'd suggest just ignoring it all. It doesn't matter which shell company they send you letters from, none of them have any legal weight.

Thanks for the reply.

Although it pains me I am thinking of paying up. I'm about to have a baby and can't have this hanging over me/risk responding to letters late etc.

Has anyone had experience with https://www.appealparkingticket.co.uk

They charge £16 and appeal on your behalf. If they win they pocket the £16 I've paid them. If the lose they pay the whole free for me. Is it genuine?

Thanks

Worth a look, there's quite a few companies offering parking ticket appeals now.

It's easy money for them, they have a few template letters set up so they just copy and paste your details in and stick it in the post.

Half the time the parking companies cancel the ticket straight away, as a POPLA appeal costs them money if they loose, but costs the person making the appeal nothing and the parking companies often loose POPLA appeals.

I received a parking ticket in the aldi car park on flora street. Has anyone got photographic evidence of the parking signs? In particular the entry sign stating that you were bound by their terms if you parked for more than 10 minutes. I would be grateful for any help in this.