Brentford v Sheffield Wednesday - matchthread

Let battle commence!

We all know the importance of this game, and I think any attempt at a prediction is futile to be honest. A poor pass here, a poor pass there, a bad refereeing decision, an offside that never was ... all proverbial flies in the ointment. To make some Owls feel a bit more optimistic, I've done a bit of research.

Brentford's recent home victories look tozzing on paper and in the stats, but their victories have, on the whole, been against teams you'd comfortably expect them to beat, with the exception of the mullering of Carlisle:-

(Oldest game first) Wycombe 5-2, Carlisle 4-0, Exeter 2-0, Rochdale 2-0, Oldham 2-0, Bury 3-0 and their last home game, the draw with Notts County 0-0. They've kept 6 clean sheets out of the last 6 home games. They drew with Walsall, Bournemouth and MK the 3 home games previous to these.

Wednesday turning up on your doorstep is a different kettle of fish to their previous 5 or 6 games.

Since 31st December, the only 'top' sides they've played at home are Carlisle, Won 4-0, and Sheffield United, Lost 2-0 (10th March) Their recent victories have been nothing special, but make them look like World Beaters at home.

Alarmingly though, their last home defeat (before United) was against Charlton way back in November.

Wednesday are allergic to scoring '0', so, given Brentfords' recent clean sheet record, this game is going to be intriguing.

Wednesday's defence have been pretty solid lately (putting poor refereeing decisions aside).

I don't think I'd have this game on any 'Goals Galore' coupon, but YOU JUST NEVER KNOW.

Good luck to the lads and Stevenage next Saturday, and make no bones about it, the Sheffield team that does get automatic have certainly deserved it.

Don't let me down Wednesday. :banana:

Edited by Hotmale 1954

its gonna be messy next saturday....unfortunately muggins is driving...but the moneys good...

got to do our homework for a boozer to watch the match because norwich v liverpool on espn....

so hopefully three points...then settle back....happy days

good post mate, but as a lot of managers say in interviews they are only looking at the next game in the fixture list, i personally dont care what they've done in previous games because as we all know players could have been injured, other players brought in or sold on, as you also say ref decisions, eronious passes or the good old...we played s**t but but they were sh****r, the only thing a home record like that may do is add a bit of confidence to them hopefully our run of not losing for 12 games will also add to our overall confidence.

2 - 0 to sheff wed, madine and beevers

2 - 1 to stevenage, united down to 10 men, all goals scored by stevenange players

good post mate, but as a lot of managers say in interviews they are only looking at the next game in the fixture list, i personally dont care what they've done in previous games because as we all know players could have been injured, other players brought in or sold on, as you also say ref decisions, eronious passes or the good old...we played s**t but but they were sh****r, the only thing a home record like that may do is add a bit of confidence to them hopefully our run of not losing for 12 games will also add to our overall confidence.

2 - 0 to sheff wed, madine and beevers

2 - 1 to stevenage, united down to 10 men, all goals scored by stevenange players

Those other teams haven't got a JJ, an Antonio and a Chris Lines taking them on though. :hihi:

Brentford 2 ( Clayon Donaldson, Sam Saunders) Sheff Weds 4: (Madine x2, Lowe, Llera)

Sheff Utd 0-1 Stevenage: (Slew)

just hope antonio's shoulder is ok for next week, DJ said its being rested I.E he has to drink fluids througha straw, lol cos he cant lift the drink( though i suspect he may have been pulling the interviewers leg with that comment).

Brentford 2 ( Clayon Donaldson, Sam Saunders) Sheff Weds 4: (Madine x2, Lowe, Llera)

Sheff Utd 0-1 Stevenage: (Slew)

oh i forgot about slew, the next son of god while at united then just average ofter he was sold on, lol

oh i forgot about slew, the next son of god while at united then just average ofter he was sold on, lol

Well he's hardly pulled up any trees this season has he...

Well he's hardly pulled up any trees this season has he...

exactly, dont know what you saw in him ;)

exactly, dont know what you saw in him ;)

He looked a prospect, probably more from that Youth Cup run, and got a few goals in his occasional games. Then one sniff of more money and he was off to Premiership reserves, and then back out to a long ball team at Stevenage. Be interesting to see what reaction he gets from the crowd...!

On topic, what's the situation with Antonio's shoulder, did he have a fall or something like that?

he got fouled, that was why the game had extra 6 mins, it was 50/50 whether he was gonna be subbed but he ploughed on and scored the winner.

Hurt it in a challenge but reading the paper today it seems he got injured even more when all his team mates jumped on him after he scored the winner lol.