Mondeo alarm : not used to new-fangled ..

My recently acquired 2004 Mondeo has a car alarm , with noise and lights , which I set off last night . Eventually it stopped itself . 1. Can I take it that the alarm cannot go off whilst the central locking is unlocked ? 2. How do I switch if off ?

Owners manuals here:

http://www.ford.co.uk/OwnerServices/Owners-Manual

You'll need to enter your VIN to see if you're lucky, the earliest Mondeo one I could see was 2007.

There are two manuals here for Mk3 and 4:

http://www.diagnostic-world.com/pages/ford_pdf_user_manual_212492.cfm

I had a 2001 Mondeo - the odd time the alarm went off I used to switch it off by opening the drivers door with the ignition key.

Your Mondeo if left unlocked may lock itself. If the alarm is going off for what appears to be for no reason then you may have a faulty sensor. I had a T reg and finished up taking it into a Ford Dealer to get a diagnosis.

It was found to be a faulty sensor on the bonnet catch.

On my current Mondeo (2011 however) the alarm will disable when pressing the key fob. My alarm auto arms its self every time the vehicle is locked, often when putting something in the car I'll long-press the open button to open the windows, and I can put something on the seat, however one day I left it a little too long and the vehicle locked its self, and as soon as I put my hand through the open window, the alarm went off.

I'm pretty sure disabling one without a fob, is just unlocking the vehicle with the key.

To switch it off completely I can go in to the onboard computer and adjust the sensitivity of the alarm, however I am unsure with your model, as I haven't driven one.