Will GP prescribe something for flying fear?

After getting a little bit poorly on a flight a few years back, I've developed a totally irational fear of flying. My kids are missing out. It's not fair on them and so Ive taken the bull by the horns and booked us a holiday. However I keep thinking about sitting in that seat and waiting for take off.....I break out in a sweat, feel sick, My heart races, feel like I need the toilet, my chest hurts and then I start with the trembles. (And this is just imagining it) so how am I going to react in the real situation.

Will Dr's still prescribe some kind of relaxant in order to fly? Am I wasting my time making an appointment? Anyone in the same situation?

I don't see why not.

Anyway have a lovely holiday, wish I was coming too !! ( I love flying )

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, I suspect my dr would prescribe antibiotics - they do for most things.

After getting a little bit poorly on a flight a few years back, I've developed a totally irational fear of flying. My kids are missing out. It's not fair on them and so Ive taken the bull by the horns and booked us a holiday. However I keep thinking about sitting in that seat and waiting for take off.....I break out in a sweat, feel sick, My heart races, feel like I need the toilet, my chest hurts and then I start with the trembles. (And this is just imagining it) so how am I going to react in the real situation.

Will Dr's still prescribe some kind of relaxant in order to fly? Am I wasting my time making an appointment? Anyone in the same situation?

Have a gander at the link below, you may find it useful.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ate/travel/203531.html

Never say never, your GP may just prescribe you something. I would ring them up and see what they say. Good luck and hope you get sorted :)

My GF is also terrified of flying, her GP gave here some Diazepam but she chose not to use it in the end as she wanted to be all together at the other end.

You could try beta blockers, especially if your on your own with kids, talk to your GP and have a nice time.

What's the point? How is diazepam going to help as you're plummeting towards a mountain at a thousand miles an hour?

What's the point? How is diazepam going to help as you're plummeting towards a mountain at a thousand miles an hour?

At least meds will be a tad more helpful than your post ;)

Meanie :hihi:

Just get drunk in the airport, fall asleep on the flight. Job done.

A friend has serious problems with air travel and her doctor gives here tablets to enable her to sleep from Manchester to Barbados, sparks out.

A friend has serious problems with air travel and her doctor gives here tablets to enable her to sleep from Manchester to Barbados, sparks out.

i dont think its the fear of the middle bit? i.e the journey, i think its probably the take off which is the most dangerous and risky part of the flight, engine failure, bird strike etc etc statistically though flying is the safest form of travel.

just think of all the people that fly everyday for a living they dont give it a second thought.

I'd not be too worried if I was you, should the plane crash you'll be dead in a few minutes anyway :hihi: